Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81 and 82 in colour

darditti

This is only 25 minutes exposure with a QHY8 and 245mm Newtonian, the second image I have taken with this setup, on a night when it kept clouding over whenever I went inside, and guiding kept getting lost, so most of the subs had to be thrown away.

The pairing takes about 50% of the width of the chip at this scale, so both galaxies are well away from the field centre, and the effect of un-corrected coma is reducing the resolution. Still, I got something out of a poor night, and I will no doubt return to this subject again when hopefully the coma will be sorted with the MPCC.

Capture using Nebulosity and processing using DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop CS4 and GradentXterminator.

David

M82-08-11-25SkyglwQHYOriLR.jpg

Great result from Edgware! Must have a go at M81 (at least) myself - been avoiding it because it's so often badly placed for me (my best views are south and southwest, and my GP doesn't much like being pointed too close to the NCP). Also because I don't think I could do justice to such a well-known object. But I really ought to try, especially seeing what can be got out of the same optics as mine!

Archived