Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Transporting 8" meade lx200

Does anyone transport a Meade 8" LX 200 around by car  eg to dark sites. If so, how do you do that safely? Hard case, padded bag, in it's own seat with seat belt on (that's what I was told before😀) Thanks.

When I had a 10" LX 200, I just put it in the boot, of the car and wedged it gently with other stuff.  At some point I got one of those foam things that campers put under thir sleeping bag, and put it under the scope.  The LX 200 is so solid that unless you drive like a madman, it's unlikely to come to harm.

With our club LX90 loan scope, one of our members years made a wooden box, with lift out tray

Problem is the box weighs just as much as the scope, when include all the accessories

The box is foam lined

John

A box with a good foam lining doesn't have to be so rigid that it weighs a ton. 

Meade's own boxes were made of thin ply. 

A large enough suitcase of the springy plastic variety would be perfect with an added foam lining, plus you get wheels too. 

Michael 

By coincidence, I just noticed a very nice looking used aluminum case for 8" fork mounted scopes on Ebay.

It's from a private seller in Germany, but the postage is a fairly reasonable £18.87, and the buy it now price is £71.83........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-Telescope-Case-for-8-fork-mounted-SC-telescopes-Celestron-Meade/113805817581?hash=item1a7f5af6ed:g:r-YAAOSwp~pdHKV3

ebay fork case.jpg