NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

As you can see I am very new here.  

I have just bought a SW Evostar 72 ED and would like to us it visually.  I don't have a 2" diagonal and eyepieces.

My big dilemma is what is a good choice in eyepiece and diagonal.  I am driving myself mad looking at what is available.

Can I get some advice please.

Thanking you.

Stephen

Hello and welcome to the SGL. I recently purchased the ED 72 scope and have been very impressed by its performance visually. I purchased a Williams optic 2 inch diagonal. It is very well made and performs nicely. However, it is quite expensive at £135. I also have the Skywatcher dialectic diagonal and at half the price of the Williams model it is well worth considering. I got the more expensive diagonal because it has an anti marring ring to hold the eps but performance wise there is not much difference. Both come with adapters that allow you to use 1.25 eps and as I have already got a fairly large collection of these they are what I use.

As to suitable eps, this really depends on your budget regarding which makes to get. You will need a low power ep, a medium power and a high power in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have a couple of 2" GSO (Revelation/TPO/OPT) dielectric diagonals that I use with my AT72ED and 127 Mak to good effect.  They're very sturdy and don't seem to degrade the image in any significant manner.  I tried a cheaper 2" diagonal, but it had flexure issues as well as a tendency to tip eyepieces in the holder when tightening them down.

• Like 1

Stephen

I have SW ED80 on a EQ5pro mount

I only ever use 1.25" eyepieces

ED80 came with adapter from 2" to 1.25" eyepieces, which slides into the diagonal 

With respect to eyepieces, I find 17mm very versatile for visual viewing

Lot of people say small is better, when gets down to under 10mm, loose a lot of contrast, with a higher value eyepiece, can always use a barlow

John

PS

Early next year, NASA is sending another Rover to Mars

The attached link, will enable you to register, and download Boarding Pass, to have your name included on the Rover

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-invites-public-to-submit-names-to-fly-aboard-next-mars-rover

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

• Like 1

John I have my boarding Pass.  Thank you very much for the link definitely a highlight for the day.

I am 'tickled pink' with this.

Boarding-Pass-My-Name-On-Mars2020.png

Thank you for all the help.  I was going to buy a Televue Diagonal (the wife even said 'yes') too expensive.  I shall get a GSO or Williams Optics.

Thanks again.

Stephen going to Mars

• Like 1