Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Scope (frac) For £400-£600 ???

Hi Folks

I’m idly pondering future purchases. Other than the massive Dob, I have a hankering for a frac. Size is unimportant (I already have a little ED72). I just want nice planets, crisp stars and 3D clusters. What would be the Best Buy second hand for £400 to £600?

Thoughts?

Paul

Edited by Paul73

This is a little predictable I guess but I think the Skywatcher ED100 is hard to beat for visual observing, even when up against competition well outside that budget.

The Altair (and other brandings) 102mm F/11 ED must be in with a shout as well. You might even get an ED120 for that budget.

• Like 2

What would you mount it on Paul? I do reckon you might squeeze a 120ED into your budget if you got lucky and that would be a great scope on a whole range of targets. John's suggestions make alot of sense of course, the 102 f11s are very capable scopes, but you need a reasonable mount for them as they are quite long.

• Like 1

Having owned an ED120 (that smelled of Stu’s Shed). I’d have to agree that it would be in with a shout.

The mounting isn’t important. Once I’ve bought the scope, I’d have to swing for a suitable mount. 😁

Paul

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Having owned an ED120 (that smelled of Stu’s Shed). I’d have to agree that it would be in with a shout.

The mounting isn’t important. Once I’ve bought the scope, I’d have to swing for a suitable mount. 😁

Paul

🤣🤣 I'm not going to live that down am I? I still can't recall why it smelt!

10 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

We could blame Derek?

Well, on the basis that he is shirking his forumly duties with his absence then I think we could get away with it 🤣🤣

• Haha 1