Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Slow motion knobs on my EQ Mount

Hello everyone!

I require some help with the Slow Motion Knobs that are present on the EQ mount of my Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. Now I've read about these, and as far as I know it helps me make fine adjustments to the object that I am seeing, so that I can center it in my focuser. But just yesterday I tried using the knobs, but all it is doing is causing the object to shake. No movement is seen how much ever I rotate them. I'm tired of having to manually align the object with the red dot finder every time it disappears from sight. What can I do to make them work? Or do they not work at all? Please advice on what I can do as the last time I posted on this forum I received amazing and prompt responses from everyone, so I am grateful to all. I hope you guys can help me with this as well.

Thanks

It could be that you do not have the locking knobs on each axis tightened up. The slow motions knobs will just turn endlessly with no acutal mount movement unless these are locked.

Edited by russ

Whoa, that was fast!

14 minutes ago, russ said:

It could be that you do not have the locking knobs on each axis tightened up. The slow motions knobs will just turn endlessly with no acutal mount movement unless these are locked.

Hmmm, that might be the case as after, say, 20 rotations or so they would just come out, and I would have to re-tighten them. But is there a way of knowing that they are actually tightened and they work?

Also by 'tighten', do you mean tighten with a screwdriver or manually with hand?

Thanks

(Edit: Sorry, I hit the reply button twice!)

Edited by Aryan

26 minutes ago, Aryan said:

Whoa, that was fast!

Hmmm, that might be the case as after, say, 20 rotations or so they would just come out, and I would have to re-tighten them. But is there a way of knowing that they are actually tightened and they work?

Also by 'tighten', do you mean tighten with a screwdriver or manually with hand?

Thanks

(Edit: Sorry, I hit the reply button twice!)

Hmm  that sounds like you unscrewed the locking knob...lol   The slow-mo you can turn forever and they will just simply turn. The slow-mo are the long flexi adjusters. You can see the slow-mo in the picture above, its near the pointy arrow. :)

11 hours ago, Ruud said:

I think it's these knobs:

766941941_lockknobs.png.f45c4f450f45d193cc74011475306385.png

You tighten them by hand. Once fully tightened, the telescope will only move by turning the slomo knobs.

I got the image from here: AstroMaster-EQ_Telescope_Series_Manual_Web.pdf

I know those knobs are the locking knobs, but no matter how much i tighten it, the slow motion knobs just rotate endlessly with no movement in the telescope.

Also I mean that after 20 rotations of the slow motion knob, it will loosen and fall off. Then I have to put it back and tighten the screw present on the slow motion knob itself. 

Please advice on what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Alan64 said:

The Celestron CG-3 mount, is the same as an EQ-2.  It may that the mount's axes, along with the worm assembly, are bound up.  They tend to ship like that from the factory.  Here's how to adjust them...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/319273-meade-large-equatorialeq-2-hyper-tuning/?do=findComment&comment=3492379

Great demonstration of hyper-tuning.  I have EQS version which worked manually out of box but slow motion controls were very stiff.  The RA worm was binding on the gear needed adjustment loosening retightening 2 bolts you demonstrate.  Now clock drive works smoothly will eventually clean factory grease out and re-grease then same for DEC. 

• Like 1