Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon - Rupes Recta and Pitatus

Ruud

That's an Amazing sketch.

This is not my particular area of interest (mostly because I can't draw for my life) but I like to look at the sketching threads as I am amazed what some people can draw and the effort that goes into it. After all this is how it all started with the first telescopes and early astronomers. 🙂

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ruud,

Wow, what a super sketch. Just love the technique and the way you have executed the drawing is so evenly and consistently done. Very accomplished. Envious. How have you done this sketch? Grey paper? materials? Mike

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike JW said:

Wow, what a super sketch. Just love the technique and the way you have executed the drawing is so evenly and consistently done. Very accomplished. Envious. How have you done this sketch? Grey paper? materials? Mike

Thank you Mike. It's made on the computer. I used the smeary round brush of Corel Painter. I apply the brush strokes with a Wacom Intuos pen and tablet.

A lot of the smaller detail is at best very approximate or no more than a happy accident (completely imaginary). This is really a personal impression of the region. I love the wrinkles on the plains, so exaggerate them, and the complicated rough terrain near Petatus is beyond my capacity to recreate, so that's why it is just a chaotic mess. 

This one is based on a rough sketch at 138 and 200x (Genesis + 1.8 Barlow + Morpheus 6.5 and 4.5mm). I used SVS image 4223 to get things in the right place on the painting. I kept true to the notes and didn't use the SVS image to correct mis-observed features like the crater at the northern tip of the rupes.

I also posted computer paintings based entirely on SVS which have more accurate features in them.

Edited by Ruud

Hi Ruud, Thanks for the info. Using a computer to sketch - never occurred to me. Must investigate this idea for lunar sketching. Fully understand that smaller detail creeps in by happy accident. Just the same for me. Drawing the moon is a lifetime's journey in itself, let alone doing DSOs etc. What fun and pleasure to be had from this hobby. Mike

• 1 month later...