Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter from the 21st June 19

Hi all, Jupiter is very challenging with how low it is from the UK. However here's my attempt. Frustrating as I'd not realised how low it is and my telescope couldn't completely clear the bottom of my dome shutter and hence covered a third of the mirror. I've had to raise it this week. 

Anyway the image is a stack of 1000 using a zwo ASI224mc with my 12inch f4 Newtonian working at f20 with a 5x powermate. 

PSX_20190625_182257.jpg

• Like 3

Yep, that's about par for the course for me with similar kit!

Did you select off the best 25% of the frames in autostakkert, or is it the whole lot?

Hi - its a nice image given the low altitude. The redo at 25% seems much better.

FWIW I use similar kit - a 10" F4 with a 5x powermate and ASI 290 - but I haven't had the chance to do anything this year for various reasons Grrr. 

I agree the 5x powermate is pushing it a bit although I still got good results last year with Jupiter at 23 degree altitude. Also I normally use a much lower percentage of frames -  maybe only 5%.

Not sure what frame rate you get but I would aim for >100fps - a 3 minute run would get you 18000 frames so best 5% would be 900 frames. Three minutes is a bit long without derotation but with Jupiter so low it wont make much difference.

Hope that helps!