Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Smartphone questions

Hi,

i’ve been using iPhone camera and the NightCap camera app. I’ve only just realised I should adjust ISO and shutter speed to stop planets being so bright and featureless. Just some questions I’m struggling with if you would be kind enough to help please. 

1. Is there like an eye relief but for the phone camera lens/how far do you position the camera from the eyepiece?

2. Do you adjust ISO then shutter speed? Any more tips?

3. What are your favourite eyepieces to use with this? I have the NexYZ smartphone adaptor. Using it with Myriad XWA and Pentax XW eyepieces on a 1200x254 dob.

4. Have you got your best images with a smartphone from a reflector or refractor? Add more detail if you wish.

5. Do you usually do single shots or videos?

any other tips would be welcome, especially on mounting and positioning the camera. 

This is the main section for smartphone imaging...

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/279-imaging-smartphone-tablets/

Answers as best I can below:

1. Is there like an eye relief but for the phone camera lens/how far do you position the camera from the eyepiece?

The same applies for the camera as for your eye, the position needs to be the same. With eyepieces which have longer eye relief you have to make sure the camera is not too close, otherwise you don't get the full field of view

2. Do you adjust ISO then shutter speed? Any more tips?

I would say yes, but I guess it can be iterative. With planets I try to keep the ISO low to reduce noise then adjust the shutter speed so the planet is not over exposed.

3. What are your favourite eyepieces to use with this? I have the NexYZ smartphone adaptor. Using it with Myriad XWA and Pentax XW eyepieces on a 1200x254 dob.

I find the smaller, straight sided eyepieces are generally easiest to clamp on to. Some of the bigger ones you have to clamp onto the top rim which seems to work.

4. Have you got your best images with a smartphone from a reflector or refractor? Add more detail if you wish.

Probably refractor, but that's just because I use one more often.

5. Do you usually do single shots or videos?

Single shots. I have a rule which is that everything needs to be done on the phone, capture and processing. I use ProCam 5 on iPhone and the advanced Samsung Camera App on my S9. Snapseed and PS Express are the ones I find best for processing.

• Thanks 1