NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 goto + SW 200p is that possible?

Hi guys, I have EQ5 goto with skywatcher 200p, I bought it for observations at first, and I'm very happy with it, I didn't really intend to go into astrophotography, but my brother just got a new camera(canon EOS 6D), and I thought, is there anything I can do?

I know that the 200p is pretty heavy for the EQ5, and I know that it's not recommended at all for astrophotography, but is that impossible? Or another question, what IS actually possible?

I don't really mind spending some money if that might help somehow, even though I don't have anything in mind except for a new mount and OTA, which is not what I want atm.

So, would like to hear your thoughts, thanks :)

I'm sure people will chime in saying it's impossible, you'll need a bigger mount etc.

I'd say try it.  Wind will have a big effect, even a slight breeze, so don't expect much when it's windy. Polar alignment and balance will need to be decent to get good results.

Try it and see how you get on, you'll get something I'm sure, but it's a slippery slope and an addictive hobby 😁

3 minutes ago, Starflyer said:

I'm sure people will chime in saying it's impossible, you'll need a bigger mount etc.

I'd say try it.  Wind will have a big effect, even a slight breeze, so don't expect much when it's windy. Polar alignment and balance will need to be decent to get good results.

Try it and see how you get on, you'll get something I'm sure, but it's a slippery slope and an addictive hobby 😁

I managed to get decent photos with my shitty phone of jupiter, I wonder if I would've been able to do the same with a camera, sure the camera is much better, but I wonder how the weight will affect it.

I'll sure give it a try when the DSLR adapter will arive :)

I do plan on having a fairly big upgrade in the far future, I wonder between a big dob and a medium cassegrain(around 16" dob and 11" cass since it's around the same price), the thing is walking around with a 16" dob doesn't sound like much fun, and I'm already struggling with my mount, weights, SW 200p and huge 22 kg battery.

I'm another vote for try it, technically it may be too much. I dont own a mount at the moment but I would say be wary of the RA motors if your tracking because overloading those could put a quick end to it all. Buti dont know they weight of the OTA or camera your using. 

Please do share your attempts/efforts 

Paul

2 minutes ago, Paul2019 said:

I'm another vote for try it, technically it may be too much. I dont own a mount at the moment but I would say be wary of the RA motors if your tracking because overloading those could put a quick end to it all. Buti dont know they weight of the OTA or camera your using. 

Please do share your attempts/efforts 

Paul

Will do, that might take some time until I'll get my adapter, and tbh I currently have problems with star alignment, so I'll need to understand what I'm doing wrong ^_^

I used an EQ5 with my SW 200p to take astro photos using a Canon 700d  for three years before upgrading to an Alt Az EQ6.  It didn't always produce great results but it quite often surprised me. 

For the cost of an adapter (and possibly a coma corrector) it's definitely worth having a go. Any of the photos in my album (link) with a date before October 2016 were shot from the EQ5.

9 hours ago, almcl said:

I used an EQ5 with my SW 200p to take astro photos using a Canon 700d  for three years before upgrading to an Alt Az EQ6.  It didn't always produce great results but it quite often surprised me. 

For the cost of an adapter (and possibly a coma corrector) it's definitely worth having a go. Any of the photos in my album (link) with a date before October 2016 were shot from the EQ5.

That's actually nice. I'll give it a shot then.

9 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

I have a ED80 on my EQ5pro

You do not mention if your EQ5 mount is manual, or has SynScan

Attached pic taken at a recent club solar viewing day

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

I did mention: "I have EQ5 goto with skywatcher 200p" :)

It is what I started with and got me the bug - however since moving house have not been out for ages due to work requirements. I found I was limited to 45-60 second exposures (not guiding) before everything got too blurred/disfigured. I was happy with my first few images and I have learnt a lot since, but as I have not managed to put it to use yet due to work.

You can see the issues with my image below, but it was pretty much the first one that I ever took.

Give it a go, you will enjoy it!

Orion compressed.jpg