Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

which camera should i buy?

hello everyone

im currently using canon 650D on the esprit 120 and i thinking to move on to the next level. at the beginning i wanted the canon 6D but after reading a little bit i realized that cooled dedicated astronomy camera will be better (color camera not mono. i want to start at first in color camera). so i have couple of question:

1) which camera should i buy? (or to stay with the canon 6D or even other DSLR camera?) from my understanding the ZWO ASI currently the best in the market? (for beginners?)

2) what is it "read noise"? and which read noise is the best -  the highest or the lowest (i saw a numbers next to the read noise and i dont know if i need to search for the lower number or the higher number)?

thank you very much!!!

2 hours ago, hubble space telescope said:

hello everyone

im currently using canon 650D on the esprit 120 and i thinking to move on to the next level. at the beginning i wanted the canon 6D but after reading a little bit i realized that cooled dedicated astronomy camera will be better (color camera not mono. i want to start at first in color camera). so i have couple of question:

1) which camera should i buy? (or to stay with the canon 6D or even other DSLR camera?) from my understanding the ZWO ASI currently the best in the market? (for beginners?)

2) what is it "read noise"? and which read noise is the best -  the highest or the lowest (i saw a numbers next to the read noise and i dont know if i need to search for the lower number or the higher number)?

thank you very much!!!

I would not say that ZWO is the best in the market at the moment by a long shot, if you want the very best then you should go with Morvian, Atik, SX or QSI etc. If you want the best value for money with good build quality / reliability then go for ZWO.

Having said that though as your intent on a OSC ZWO do make some good options. Lower read noise is generally better but its not the only important factor to consider, dark current, ease if calibration, quantum efficiency, full well depth, sensor size and pixel size are all equally important.

If I had a large scope like a esprit 120 then I would want to match it with a large sensor APS-C at least. So something like a ASI071mc pro...or QHY168c (my preference do to more mechanically reliable). If you want to wait then theQHY268c is going to be out soon and will be an fantastic OSC camera if the specification is anything to go by.

You could go with a IMX294c based camera....but for me I would want a larger sensor despite it being a bit more sensitive. Stay well clear of the IMX183c at your focal length.

The 6D would actually not be a bad choice at all....just depends on your budget.

Adam

I want to get an Astrel camera as it has an onboard computer.  The website says it can control , mount, guider and as an option a 32 gig sd card to store images.  I currently have a Pentax K1  mkll and a Sony  RX 100V.   Both take astro  images but , can’t compare  to the  Astrel.   Sorry I forgot the link.

Mike

it seems that the ZWO is good camera to start with reasonable price

the QSI is too complicated

and the canon 6D is not dedicated, but good way to resume the astrophotography

and the QHYCCD is high quality? because i saw the QHYCCD with the esprit, and the picture was not 100%... but maybe much of this is editing...

Edited by hubble space telescope

Oh yes a ccd camera with built in filter wheel check it out at.  astrel-instruments.com , everything can be plugged into the camera  and it makes it’s own WiFI.  They are just new on the market, but it will be my next camera.

Mike

Well now that you bring up the cooling issue, it does make sense.  A fellow on CN has ordered one I will wait and see how he makes  out with it.

Mike

Edited by rml63

20 hours ago, hubble space telescope said:

sound great! good luck with it!

its sound like the asi-air but without the option of the camera😅

The astrel camera is based on the INDI protocol and Linux as OS. So, very much like the ASIAIR/StellarMate.

One other disadvantage (besides cooling) of this configuration is that it makes the camera heavier, and puts more strain on the focuser.

I have the SW 130 BKP DS reflector even with a focuser for  imaging  I can see how that would be a problem.  Astrel sure is  appealing as an all in one system.  Would I need a moonlight focuser to handle the weight?

Mike

5 hours ago, hubble space telescope said:

but you can lock the focuser

Sure

5 hours ago, hubble space telescope said:

it will not move...

Not so sure. The whole imaging train may bend. Only a few micrometers is enough to be noticable.

3 hours ago, rml63 said:

I have the SW 130 BKP DS reflector even with a focuser for  imaging  I can see how that would be a problem.  Astrel sure is  appealing as an all in one system.  Would I need a moonlight focuser to handle the weight?

Mike

According to their site, the camera (AST183) weighs 850 g. That's about the same as a dslr. But if the camera is thicker than a dslr, that weight results in a higher torque/angular moment on the focuser.

Btw, the cooling is 35 - 42 C below ambient. That should be good enough, even with a "hot" mini computer attached.

One other thing to consuder is whether you'd want to put all your eggs in one basket. Would you want the controlling computer to be integrated with the camera? What if you're not happy with the capture/control software? Is the Astrel guiding solution as stable and versatile as PHD? Having all in one seems neat, but you lose flexibility and the freedom to choose.

Those are all very good points to consider.  It is my understanding the Astrel would control  existing software for the auto-guider, mount and polar alignment.   I see what you are saying I have a 5 function combination woodworking machine, which is great, but it is one massive machine and requires compromises to be made when switching between functions.  

The Astrel seems similar to me, I guess I am looking for the “lazy” way to control everything in one neat package.  But it will  definitely require more thought than I had originally planned on.  

Mike