Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moonlight electric focuser question

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a moonlight electric focuser for my moonlight CR1 focuser. There are two, one manual at £215 and another manual/usb ASCOM control at nearby  £400. Quite a difference in the two price wise. Would it be prudent to get the usb one in the first instance rather than regret it later? I've only ever used manual electric focuses in the past. Be nice if there's other's that use the computer version or other type's that are computer versions to give me an idea as to whether it is better than manual.  Many thanks. 

Hmm, I've always built my own for approx. £50-£75,based on Rob Brown's designs (https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinofocuscontrollerpro/) and they work flawlessly in SGPro\APT etc, But you need to have a practical bent for mounting the motors et al. 

And I doubt whether there is any real difference in the ones I build, compared to the Moonlight's, but I would recommend that you go for the more expensive one now, so that your not limited in its use in the future.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Hmm, I've always built my own for approx. £50-£75,based on Rob Brown's designs (https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinofocuscontrollerpro/) and they work flawlessly in SGPro\APT etc, But you need to have a practical bent for mounting the motors et al. 

And I doubt whether there is any real difference in the ones I build, compared to the Moonlight's, but I would recommend that you go for the more expensive one now, so that your not limited in its use in the future.

I'd have no clue how to go about making one myself and I agree that computer control is better for future proof. How do you control the focuser via USB? Is use APT for my dslr and Sharp cap for my zwo asi 120mm and asi 224mc. I've also bought a zwo mini electric filter wheel to use with my asi120mm on planetary imaging in lrgb. I'm a novice on electronic stuff and ever only used manual up till now. 

They are USB connected, and have an Ascom driver so work just the same as any other focuser, as long as the control software can recognise the device, I've never had any issues, and they even work in Indi\Ekos on Linux.

I have one permanently fitted to my ED80, together with ASI filter wheel \ OAG ASI 120mm & ASI 1600mm camera. And the package just works...

• Like 1

I don’t know any thing about Moonlight stepper motor focusers but going off at a tangent, and as you have ZWO gear, have you considered ASIAIR? ZWO have just introduced an focus motor (EAF) and you can control everything, including a beta version of polar alignment, from an iOS or Android device by dedicated Wi-Fi.  -  John 

Edited by Grierson
Poor spelling!
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Grierson said:

I don’t know any thing about Moonlight stepper motor focusers but going off at a tangent, and as you have ZWO gear, have you considered ASIAIR? ZWO have just introduced an focus motor (EAF) and you can control everything, including a beta version of polar alignment, from an iOS or Android device by dedicated Wi-Fi.  -  John John

No I hadn't because of having to buy asiair as well but I'll look into the cost comparison of buying the asiair and the EAF. Thanks for the suggestion. 

OK,  I've looked at the zwo options and slightly cheaper for both asiair and the focus motel. My problem with this is that I use a modded DSLR for DSO imaging and my zwo asi120mm is usb2 so I'd also have to change camera's making it even more expensive.  Also my setup is permanent so I use a PC. I'll be learning to guide with PHD2 along with sharp cap which does support zwo filter wheel and asi120mm. It would I believe also support the moonlight usb focus motor.  I know all this electronic support is new to me but I guess the only way is to jump in feet first. I've now got most of the needed equipment except for the usb controlled focus for the moonlight. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Update

If your intended use is for deep sky imaging, ultimately under robotic control, then I think you'd want the USB version. However, to be honest, the Moonlite is not the best focuser for this purpose since its design is inherently prone to slip and the robotic systems count motor steps which don't allow for slippage. Some people get the Moonlites to work but I know a number of competent people who have abandoned them for robotic focus. I have one which I use only manually and would not be inclined to trust in other applications.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

If your intended use is for deep sky imaging, ultimately under robotic control, then I think you'd want the USB version. However, to be honest, the Moonlite is not the best focuser for this purpose since its design is inherently prone to slip and the robotic systems count motor steps which don't allow for slippage. Some people get the Moonlites to work but I know a number of competent people who have abandoned them for robotic focus. I have one which I use only manually and would not be inclined to trust in other applications.

Olly

Thanks Olly.