Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help!

Hi All,

Long time lerker but first time poster here. I have just made the decision to move into astrophotography and I have got a DSLR and I have just taken my first photo. Its 9 x 4sec subs of lyra stacked in DSS. But now I am stuck with no idea at all on how to process it. Any tips or pointers appreciated. 

Thanks 

Paul

Autosave001.tif

Normally the Autosave tif will be very dark.

You will need to stretch the image with some software like Photoshop or something similar.
There are some free apps like Gimp if you don't want to splash out.

Your stack is full of hot pixels, might be worth adjusting the DSS settings to fix these.

Out of interest what setup are you using and the camera settings might be useful.

3 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

Normally the Autosave tif will be very dark.

You will need to stretch the image with some software like Photoshop or something similar.
There are some free apps like Gimp if you don't want to splash out.

Your stack is full of hot pixels, might be worth adjusting the DSS settings to fix these.

Out of interest what setup are you using and the camera settings might be useful.

I have both photoshop and gimp but I have no clue what to do with them, Camera is a Canon 400d with the standard 18-35mm lens. Exposure time was 4 seconds @ iso1600 (Which was supposed to be 800). 

Can you remove hot pixels? 

Paul

23 minutes ago, Paul2019 said:

I have both photoshop and gimp but I have no clue what to do with them, Camera is a Canon 400d with the standard 18-35mm lens. Exposure time was 4 seconds @ iso1600 (Which was supposed to be 800). 

Paul

With a standard lens you can get away with 20sec subs. I suggest experimenting with different subs first get some decent one's and stack these. I use a modded 1000d but the method is the same. I've not had issues with hot pixels. My orion neb pic was taken using 30sec subs albeit through a 12inch newtononian f4 scope. Stacked in dss. 

M42-43-small.jpg

48 minutes ago, Paul2019 said:

I have both photoshop and gimp but I have no clue what to do with them

Paul

If you are just starting out on processing, Steve Richards' 'Dark Art or Magic Bullet' contains step by step instructions on how to use Photoshop.  The book also goes into calibration frames, which can help in removing hot pixels, as well as lots of other aspects of the post processing art.  

Ok so some lesson learnt here, make sure camera settings are good as theres way too much noise in this to process properly. I need more data, try for longer subs. And keep trying, thanks for your help

• Like 1

Some very aggressive use of curves and down-scaling to reduce noise starts to reveal some stars. Thought you might like to see the constellations you captured. Longer subs will certainly help. 

Stars.jpg

Stars1.jpg

5 hours ago, Paul2019 said:

Paul

I would set the lens to 18mm and take long enough exposures until you see the stars start to trail, 18mm should get 25secs easily.

Jerry Lodriguss has a few tutorials have a look here.

http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/toc_dig.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobro said:

Some very aggressive use of curves and down-scaling to reduce noise starts to reveal some stars. Thought you might like to see the constellations you captured. Longer subs will certainly help. 

Stars.jpg

Stars1.jpg

Thanks, I was aiming at Vega in Lyra. How did you do the overlay? I played in photoshop and achieved similar results. Out of curiousity how do you post images on this forum?

Edited by Paul2019

2 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

I would set the lens to 18mm and take long enough exposures until you see the stars start to trail, 18mm should get 25secs easily.

Jerry Lodriguss has a few tutorials have a look here.

http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/toc_dig.html

Thats the plan for the next clear night. I really want to invest in a goto eq mount and a apo refractor but feel like its pointless until I have the basics figured out. 

1 hour ago, Paul2019 said:

How did you do the overlay? I played in photoshop and achieved similar results. Out of curiousity how do you post images on this forum?

The overlay is from nova.astrometry.net where images can be uploaded for platesolving. Once you have posted a number of times (can't remember exact number - 10?) you will be able to attach images.

14 hours ago, bobro said:

The overlay is from nova.astrometry.net where images can be uploaded for platesolving. Once you have posted a number of times (can't remember exact number - 10?) you will be able to attach images.

Thanks for the link. Really helpful, hopefully will have a clearish night tonight for round 2