Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New user struggling with getting an image from the DMK 21AU04.AS camera

Hi, 

I am a new user with this camera and have just connected everything up for the first time.  

Everything is connected, it is located, but I can't get an image from it.  

Instead, it is showing me shades when I move the camera around (light and dark). (See the pictures)

Is that supposed to happen?  Is it only when I connect it to a scope, point it at the sky and focus it with the scope that I will get an image?

Just very confused.  

2.jpg

test.jpg

Edited by marcelteaching

Hi

Does it have/have you attached a lens? If not it will be your telescope which does that job.

Until the light is focused upon the sensor, what you describe is all that you'll see.

Cheers and HTH.

s-l1600.jpg.e818bcfdaf074e2462ffe0f2f0d0fbcd.jpg

Yes, some sort of focussing device is required. If you have, it is could be too long an exposure length, or the lens might require focussing.

Look on the positive - the moving shadows as you move the camera proves that the electronics bit is working.

3 hours ago, marcelteaching said:

Hi, 

I am a new user with this camera and have just connected everything up for the first time.  

Everything is connected, it is located, but I can't get an image from it.  

Instead, it is showing me shades when I move the camera around (light and dark). (See the pictures)

Is that supposed to happen?  Is it only when I connect it to a scope, point it at the sky and focus it with the scope that I will get an image?

Just very confused.  

This is perfectly normal. Without any optics (lens or telescope) in front of the sensor to form an image you will just get a overall grey blur.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone so much! 

I know it sounds like such a stupid thing, but this isn't exactly described anywhere.  It makes sense.  I remember when I looked into my first Dob when it was out of focus and I couldn't see anything but a blur.  Thank you.