Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars for a newbie.

Greetings everyone,

I am hoping for some advice from the experienced users here please.

Looking to purchase my first set of binoculars for gazing at the night sky, as I have recently got very interested in everything to do with physics and the Big Bang.

I understand that the best option is to go for something along the lines of a 10x50 set but have become baffled by the sheer array of products available.

Products I have shortlisted so far include;

Celestron Ultima DX 9x63.

Opticron IMagic 10x50.

Opticron Vega II 8x56.

There have been others on my list, but these were subsequently removed due to the poor reviews I read, which in the main were related to QC issues from them all being Chinese manufactured, hence why the Opticron's have appeared, as it is my understanding these are still Japanese manufactured?

I'd be grateful for opinion's and advice please to enable me to make some kind of decision.

Price limit is around £120, cheaper would be better, as always!

Thanks in advance.

GB.

Im not super experienced but have been through a few threads on here about the subject. I decided upon some 15x70's which may be a little on the large side but give fantastic views. I bought these off Ebay for an awesome price http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bushnell-Astralis-15x70-Binoculars-B-N-Low-Price_W0QQitemZ370118009681QQihZ024QQcategoryZ10955QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem all in £40 which is a bargain and arrived next day. Have seen them for over $150 on other sites so i dont think they are cheap and from what i haev seen thay are identical to the Celestron 15x70's in every way.

Lidl have got their great deal on Bresser 10x50's starting this Thursday - £17.95 a pair (they've gone up a bit!)

Cheap scopes, but excellent for astronomy and birding and general use and that price, you can afford to have a couple of pairs, or put the extra to the 15x70's on ebay!

Hello "geebee!" - and welcome to Stargazers Lounge!

Re which pair of binoculars. I can see you have already received some good advice.

All I would say before you rush out (or send off for) your first pair of binoculars, is to think carefully what you want your binoculars to do, and what you yourself what to look at through them?

As others have said - a powerful binocular (15x70) will give great views, but will be quite heavy, and more difficult to hold steady for long periods. (in my opinion a tripod is beneficial for binocualrs over 12x50 in size).

Also consider the issue of "portability." Do you want to be able to take your binoculars on holiday, or take them with you when you are on a day out somewhere?

If you simply want a pair of binoculars to be able to "nip" outside when the night sky is clear, then perhaps it might be wise to go for a pair of 7x50, 8x40, or 8x42's. (All these binoculars double up as great general purpose binoculars).

Some people prefer to have a small (7x50, 8x40 or 8x42) pair of binoculars to use in conjunction with a telescope. The right binoculars will give you a clear, crisp reasonably wide field view of the stars. This makes it easier to locate what you want to look at in more detail, through a telescope.

Other people prefer a "BIG" pair of binoculars, and set them on a tripod to view the heavens.

Personally, I prefer a small general purpose pair of binoculars (I have a second hand pair of Opticron 8x42's) which I can use when the skies are clear, for a quick scan around. (They are also light and compact enough to take with me when I'm out for a walk in the countryside or seashore).

Best wishes on whatever you choose.

Regards,

philsail1

P.S. One other thing. If you can, it is best to try and go to a shop where you can actually hold a pair of binoculars, and give them a try out. In my experience, a pair of binoculars has not only to produce good clear images, but has also got "feel" right in your hands when viewing through them.

Lidl have got their great deal on Bresser 10x50's starting this Thursday - £17.95 a pair (they've gone up a bit!)

Is this offer in the Uk lidl stores, I see it in the Lidl in Ireland but is it also in the mainland uk ?

Lidl Ireland as far as I can see, unless someone else knows otherwise. Perhaps from a received newsletter update?

As you have already noted, 10x50 is probably the ideal compromise beteen weight, magnification and portability. I have some Opticon 11x70s, but they are only juuuussst manageable for relatively short periods hand held and are better placed on a tripod. For light transmission, binnoculars with BAK4 porro prisms have better light transmission than those with the cheaper BK7 glass. Porro prisms are preferred over roof prisms (unless its a very expensive pair) because with roof prisms the light is bent more times and in a more complex pattern causing more light loss and possibly aberration. Nitrogen fillled may be less prone to dewing.

You should also check the exit pupil. Hold the binnocular at arms length and look at the light comming through the eyepieces. It should be perfectly round. If its obstruced it may mean undersized (usually found on cheap binnoculars) or possibly mis-aligned prisms which again impact on light transmission and quality of image.

Archived