Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 414 EX with flattener

16 minutes ago, David Crane said:

I have a TS Photoline 80apo triplet and I'm thinking of getting a flattener but I have been told that because of the small sensor size the flattener wont do much. Has anyone any experience with this issue

I find it unlikely that you would need a flattner with that scope / sensor combination but have not direct experience.

It seems to me that you would not want a 0.8x reducer either as that would likely result in under sampling.

An example image would help.

Adam

Thanks Adam.Ill get one of last nights M13 shots. I have egg shaped star but I am hoping this could be due to a slight mis-alignment in the filter/camera connections rather than the TS optics but I trying to cover all my options.

I am no expert but I used a 70mm (420mm) scope with a Canon APS C sensor and the egg shaped stars were only toward the very edge. With the 414 being much smaller than the Canon I would have thought you would need a reducer/flatener.

Alan.

Hi David,  

I use a 414ex mono  with an SW Equinox 80mm (F6.25) without any additional correction,  and do not notice any significant**  elongation.

** Obviously this is a very subjective matter. I have enough battles with all the rest of the kit / sky conditions etc..  to become too retentive over the microscopic details  (maybe I should ?)  but you have to draw the line somewhere between producing a decent  acceptable image within a limited timespan and   pixel madness !!...

This is a recent shot with the 414 /80mm combo , the Veil..,  just don't look too closely     ;)

.1855463869_VEILHa-OIIIBiColorImage.thumb.jpg.9248e07f049c7545eb1e067734a1d2d8.jpg

Edited by Craney

Thanks all for the advice. I'm still trying to track down the egg shapes. We have turned the camera and filter wheel through 90 degrees and the egg shapes also turn suggesting it's not the optics so I'm a little undecided about a flattener.

Love the Veil. I was out last night on the Eagle nebula and other targets, processing and coffee today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

I am no expert but I used a 70mm (420mm) scope with a Canon APS C sensor and the egg shaped stars were only toward the very edge. With the 414 being much smaller than the Canon I would have thought you would need a reducer/flatener.

Alan.

I think you might have meant to say the opposite to what you ended up saying as the sentence does not make sense?

On 31/05/2019 at 13:39, Adam J said:

I think you might have meant to say the opposite to what you ended up saying as the sentence does not make sense?

Absolutely correct, sorry everyone, I meant to say Would Not need a Flatener etc. As an aside I seem to have missed Not or 'nt from a few ending of words of late, must check things more carefully.

Sorry all,

Alan 

Hi David, I doubt the flattener will do much. If the elongation is all in one direction it will not be due to field curvature. Field curvature will give elongation (probably comet-like) into the corners but leave the middle sharp.

Olly

Hi. Ollie

Thanks for your comment about my eggy stars. A friend and I have been trying to get to the bottom of it for some time. Last night we connected the Atik directly to the scope, took some shots and then rotated it through 90% and took some more and the eggs moved, so It's not likely to be the optics but the comera, maybe the sensor not quite square.

Kind regards David

Alan -thanks for your help.