Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sorry-looking illuminated reticle eyepiece

JamesF

I've had an unbranded 12.5mm illuminated reticle eyepiece for some years.  Mostly I've used it for getting planets exactly in the centre of the field of view when imaging, but it's also quite handy for aligning finders and so on.

reticle-ep-01.jpg

It has a number of issues however: the thread on the adjuster at the top of the eyepiece is quite loose and allows the top to wobble quite a bit.  I'm hoping I can fix that with a bit of PTFE or something similar.  The on/off switch isn't great either.  It also wobbles, and more often than not I forget to turn it off after using it.  I think that wobble might be corrected if I re-fit the knob, which is held on using a grub screw.

It also no longer works.  Unscrewing the LED barrel revealed a couple of possible reasons:

reticle-ep-02.jpg

Obviously that wire needs resoldering, but I can't imagine the corrosion on the battery pad means that a good contact is made, either.

Repair shouldn't be difficult, but I'm slightly tempted to see if I can't drill a hole in the barrel and fit a suitable power supply connector, or even just run a cable out to a suitable PSU through a rubber grommet.

Or should I just offer FLO a quick flash of plastic to make the whole problem go away?  They appear to sell one very similar, though from their photos it has obvious differences such as an undercut barrel and is hopefully made to a rather better standard, or FLO wouldn't be giving it shelf space.

James

35 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Stick it that cupboard with all the other stuff you're going to fix one day and buy a new one, swot I do :grin:

Dave

Looks like I'm going to need another cupboard :D

James

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I've got one I've stopped using it, give me a pm you can have it.

I had to find a screw to put in but if works.

Very kind of you.  I'll do so.

James

• Like 1