Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Enjoyable lunar session with two scopes

RobertI

Enjoyed a lunar observing session last night with the C8 and Tal100R. Conditions were reasonably steady allowing good viewing at 200x with the C8, which got most of the action.

The most notable feature at low power was Aristarchus just  breaking the straight line of the terminator. Closer inspection revealed intricately terraced walls. To the north, Mare Imbrium showed a spectacular 'bite' shape in the form of Sinus Iridium, bounded by rugged and cratered highlands. To the south, Gassendi was prominent with its small twin, lying on the edge of Mare Humorum. I wish I had spent more time trying to identify the features within (rimae and tiny craters) - one for another time. A number of Rimae were visible south of Gassendi, with three prominent craters bounding the south of Mare Humorum. FUrther south still, the terrain becomes very rugged and cratered, as if someone has thrown gravel into thick paint. Too much too describe, except for one notable crater, highly oval shaped with a peak at one end, caused I imagine my an impact at a very oblique angle - later identified as Schiller. Clavius was unmistakable and always makes me chuckle as I remember Reggie Perrin in 2001! FInished the session with a quick glance at some doubles - the C8 might win when it comes to lunar, but the Tal is king for showing doubles in all their beauty!

Some dodgy images below for visualisation taken with a very shaky handheld iphone - I really must get a smartphone adaptor!

IMG_0841.thumb.jpg.953cb76066ab113bddde1fdf7ff8bcd8.jpg

IMG_0836.thumb.jpg.11d7ab61527e67441257e1e813f6b3e6.jpg

IMG_0838.thumb.jpg.25d2c3b523fcdee5dc6e3a8b0108565f.jpg

IMG_0829b.jpg

• Like 7