SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another eyepiece question

I recently bought a skywatcher 127mak.  I've had amazing looks at the moon with my Speers Waler 13.4mm and I believe it will do well on the planets and bright dso's.    I  have read that a 32mm plossl will give the maximun fov.  I have a cheap 32mm plossl and I don't enjoy the fov  much it seems small, though with tracking I guess that isn't so important.  I prefer the view in the 82deg 13mm!  I want to but 2 more eyepieces, one for low power and for locating targets (I don't have goto but I do have tracking), and one for good nights of seeing to get closer to the planets.  After much reading, I thought I'd ask the question, leaving aside the matter of price, what will be best choices for me between a ES 24mm 68deg and a BST 58deg 25mm or a top quality 32mm plossl for my lowest power?  I know people say the BST are amazing for planets at that price but are the ES really better leaving out the matter of price? Also for high power perhaps a BST 8mm  or an ES 82deg 6.7/8.8.   I don't mind paying a bit more for better but I don't want to do it if there's no gain!

Thanks all

Dave

Your telescope is slow (long focal ratio number), therefore  it is rather 'gentle' with eyepieces. I think all the options you listed will be fine with that telescope. A 32mm will offer a larger exit pupil (brighter image). 

• Like 1

For wide field views I would prefer the ES 24mm 68 deg to the BST 25mm 58 deg. I have the MaxVision 24mm 68 deg, which has the same optics as the ES variant, and gives really nice views in my F/6 triplet. I use it mainly as my travel wide-field option. It gives the same true FOV as a 32mm Plossl but with more pleasing, darker backgrounds, and a much wider apparent FOV. If you still can get the 24mm 68 deg MaxVision, jump at it, they are a real bargain

• Like 1

On my Orion (Synta) 127mm Mak, I use a 2" visual back to push the diagonal back about 2 inches from the rear plate of the scope to clear the focuser knob and then use a standard push fit refractor style 2" diagonal.  Clearance is not an issue with that setup.  If yours doesn't have a standard SCT thread, you can buy a thread adapter.  With 2" eyepieces, the only issue I have seen is oval flaring when bright stars pass the edge of the rear port.  I haven't noticed vignetting visually.  The TFOV difference between a 40mm Meade 5000 SWA and 32mm Plossl is dramatic.

You can sort of see my 2" Mak setup in the following photos:

445264667_DualScopeSetup-6.thumb.jpg.cf215d382c1396c2dca7d7c731eba187.jpg1630202746_DualScopeSetup-9.thumb.jpg.a1ed295bed7262491c9b6e849340a08b.jpg1527880715_DualScopeSetup-7.thumb.jpg.a0dfceb259bd3770baca0ab240b42283.jpg