SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW EQ5 Synscan GoTo - How to prevent scope from bumping in tripod legs?

Hi,

Well the topic says it all. I installed the Goto as an Upgrade kit, and i have to abort the slewing at times because the Scope bumps in the tripod-legs if i dont. Also at some angles the covers of the RA and DEC-motors bump. I read the manual, it mentions that it can be avoided, but i dont understand how?

It needs to be said that ive had problems with the guiding. I used an adaptor with too low Ampere, but have gotten a new one now, still not testet yet though. Could this be it, or? 

1 hour ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Can you tell us what scope you are using or even better post a photo of the setup?

Of course, I should have done that in the first place.

I tried the "home-position". The DEC-motor is on the right side with the cogs on the lower side, and the RA-cogs are on the right side of the mount (if North leg is front). 

Its a 150PDS on a SW EQ5, With a synscan goto V3 kit i installed myself.

20190427_194436.jpg

20190427_194447.jpg

Edited by masjstovel

28 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Interesting, I have the exact mount as yours but have a 130 newt and the V5 kit without a problem.

in relation to your picture (I assume the first picture is in home or park) which part of your scope is hitting your mount or it’s legs?

both pictures is home position, but taken from both side. Is Your DEC motor also on the right side in home pos? 

I've had the bottom of my Scope hit one of the legs, and if i am to obserce something near the northwestern horizon, the two motor covers collide.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/334496-not-fully-understanding-polar-alignment/

I have this thread going on as well, and suspect the issues can be related? 

30 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Just so you don’t despair. SGL is top heavy with knowledge and be assured that all anyone on this site wants is for you to solve your issues and get star gazing.

Oh yes i've had alot of help already, and am happy with the forum. People seem very professional and helpful, even when having to cope with my stupid questions :D

I will have a play with my set up and see if I can replicate your problems. Perhaps if I can enter a setting in reverse of my current settings or change time date etc I can be of use.

No such thing as a stupid question on SGL. I have only been at this for about two years and the knowledge base here is amazing.

Give me your basic long lat so I know where about you are viewing from.

5 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I will have a play with my set up and see if I can replicate your problems. Perhaps if I can enter a setting in reverse of my current settings or change time date etc I can be of use.

No such thing as a stupid question on SGL. I have only been at this for about two years and the knowledge base here is amazing.

Give me your basic long lat so I know where about you are viewing from.

That would be Perfect! thanks.

05.15' E, 60*25'N my app says! 

It's relatively far North so the RA cover gets a bit high yes.

Edited by masjstovel

Just a quick thought. I have seen a post in the past on here about a similar problem. It might sound obvious but the the date setting on my V5 is American, ie month, day, year. Not European day, month year.

swap the month for the day and a big difference. Doesn’t explain your first star alignment being close, but worth checking. Sorry if this already been addressed in past replies.

Marv

Just now, Marvin Jenkins said:

Just a quick thought. I have seen a post in the past on here about a similar problem. It might sound obvious but the the date setting on my V5 is American, ie month, day, year. Not European day, month year.

swap the month for the day and a big difference. Doesn’t explain your first star alignment being close, but worth checking. Sorry if this already been addressed in past replies.

Marv

It's set up in MM/DD/YY, so that is correct. I live in Norway, so ive set UTC +2:00, and Daylight saving YES. Thats correct too right?

I will try tomorrow with your settings if possible, sorry work means I have to go to bed, and it’s solid cloud out now anyway.

If I get any strange results I will get in touch. Looks like you are all correct in your month day year set up.

I hope I can help.

Marv

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Old Post i know but, I had this same problem,  since adding the synscan EQ5 pro upgrade, my scope kept banging into my EQ5 pro mount  and tripod, then realised it was because I had my elevation set to minus ( - ) instead of plus ( + ) 

since changing it to + it hasn't colided with the mount,

I don't know Why this fixed it, but it has, also make sure Auto flip is on.

hope this helps someone someday 🖖

Edited by rob12770
Clarification
  • Like 1