Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 6946 Firework Galaxy

Star101

NGC 6946 Reprocessed. It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do :)

I used photometric colour calibration and avoided too much processing elsewhere.

The file was too large so reduced it. Full image here .

Thanks for looking.

NGC_6946_Firework_Galaxy Reduced.jpg

Hi David,

Nicely processed image on what can be a difficult target, as is M101. I don't know if you used Ha in this image, if not, adding Ha would bring out the red spirals. I see you are using Pixinsight, try using the MorphologicalTransformation process to shrink the stars. This will show the galaxy in a better light. BTW M101 is my nemesis. :)

Steve 

Hi Steve, 

The image does not have any Ha.

I only took 3 x 300s Ha and then had some problem with amp glow while processing them. Maybe wrong Darks used! so decided not to use. I will get some more Ha data and try that. Thanks.

A couple of weeks ago, Astroimmaging channel had Adam Block showing a new method of star reduction. I may go try both his method and MorphologicalTransformation. 

Used MorphologicalTransformation to remove a lot of the stars.

I used a star mask to reduce the stars only half way then created a new star mask to finish with this image.

I need to go over Adam Block's new method ....could be a while ;) Hence MorphologicalTransformation will have to do for now ? 

NGC_6946_Firework_Galaxy_Edited reduced stars 2.jpg

Archived