Hunting dogs , the turtle and the pea.

cotterless45

Not much in the way of darkness, but enough to enjoy some brighter sights. I tried M100 , M106 and dome of the brighter galaxies in Canes Venatici . Just slight fuzz. 

Had a look at M3 ,M13 and the small globular cluster NGC 6229 (+9.4). The real joy was M92, I got up to x240 , with plenty of sparkle and bright outlaying stars. NGC 6210 gave a bright "turtle Nebula ", IC 4593 gave a fainter planetary nebula, "the white eyed pea". Both these blink beautifully in widefield and take x150 to give a non stellar disc.

Back to Canes Venatici for binaries. 2CNv and Σ1632 gave delightfully delicate companions. The lovely eyes of Σ 1645 shone in widefield. YCNv (""La Superba" ) gave supreme colour.

Before packing up , clouds , I noticed most of the fainter stars in Bootes by eye , casting a fine large net in the sky. Chilly session and it didn't get darker after midnight as expected.

Clear skies ! Nick.

IMG_6845.thumb.JPG.973d84b91c4fc216b071f368d9e2b4fc.JPGIMG_6846.thumb.JPG.757cbf581407439cfd6a7f7a8fcc882c.JPGIMG_6847.thumb.JPG.fc6b194d9aace59b39019fd707251c60.JPG

I have just been reading through some targets you sent me in  Canes Venatici and lo and behold you done a report. I keep going back to this constellation for M51 to see if I can get a glimpse through my scopes.(No luck yet) I see that 8" is performing brilliant again.

Rain here massive thunderstorm about 6pm  then sun come out then back to thick cloud and rain.

On 26/04/2019 at 07:59, cotterless45 said:

The real joy was M92

I saw M92 for the first time quite recently, I was surprised how brilliant it looked. Personally I felt it was possibly better than the more popular M13. (Unless it was just that unexpectedness adding to it).

Archived