Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tal eyepieces

I keep hearing how good Russian optics are especially Tal telescopes.What about their eyepieces are they as good as they say? Has anyone ever compared them with other brands such as Celestron or Meade?

John

I agree with Doc, I've also got and owned a few TAL eyepieces (and scopes!) and would recommend without any hesitation. They're good value brand new but for what you can pick them up for secondhand makes them great bargains.

Tony..

Tal eyepices are good and the Longer focal lengths are really good.

I've just (today) sold my 40mm.

The 25mm is a really Really nice one better than all the others I've tried.

The 40mm was the next best one that I've tried and It was hard to part with it! Remember though it only has the same field of view as a 50 degree 32mm plossl so you'd probably be wasting money if you already have a 30mm.

My experience was that the shorter focal lengths performed as well as anything else but did have a more yellow cast than meade or celestron plossls. The longer focal lengths were optically perfect and mechanically way above the Meade 4000 and Slightly better than my celestron Nexstar plossls.

My happiest times were spent with Tal 40,25, and 7.5mm's and 17 and 10mm celestrons.

I was thinking about getting a 40mm to use with my ST80. I have already got a 30mm ultima but didn't want to spend megabux.Hence my interest in TAL eyepieces.

While TAL's are good they won't improve on a 30mm Ultima IMHO - the 30mm Ult is a cracking eyepiece, it shows you more or less the same amount of sky that the 40mm would, at slightly higher power so the background sky is darker and the 43 degree FoV of the 40mm will look a bit claustrophobic compared to the 50 degrees of the 30mm Ultima.

Perhaps think about another focal length TAL ?.

John

Archived