SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher AZ5

DavidJM

Bought the AZ5 skywatcher mount recently as an alternative to the goto mount for my Skymax 127. It was purchased with the standard tripod and supplied by Rother Valley Optics.

Quick supplier comments, I use quite regularly and can't fault, great communication and fast delivery, highly recommend

The mount is well packaged supplied in cardboard outer and encapsulated in shaped foam which I'll continue to use (however I've had to modify as the mount can be adjusted for longer refractors or reflectors/ SCT's and the foam is moulded to the lower position)

First point, the mount is heavy, solidly built and looks well engineered, it is supplied with two extended axis drive cables although I feel the fitted slow motion knobs will do just fine for me.

Fitting to the tripod is a simple turn pin, very easy, first impression of tripod is it's a bit more flimsy than the mount. Legs are extended buy turning upper section which even when I believed tightened fully I was able to adjust height by accident, tripod may be replaced at some point!

Dovetail fitting for scopes so easy to fit, had no problem clasping my 127 Mak, states payload of 5kg maximum, would feel that perfect for my Mak but wouldn't push it too far beyond certainly not on this tripod

So on to using, feels very smooth in both axis, clutches easily adjusted and when locked the slow motion control is very good, I did have to slightly adjust horizontal due to mild backlash though, when adjusting scope finder I did get some scope shake which settled after a few seconds, another pointer to changing the tripod!

In summary the AZ5 is a very good mount at its price and I would recommend certainly with a 127Mak, the tripod not so good although instructions supplied state that there is a heavy duty version available

IMG_20190419_094901.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I've used both a SW 130p and SW Startravel 120 on the AZ5 and found it incredibly easy to use and my equipment feels secure. Particularly the 130, which feels almost toy like on the mount.

There is a touch of focus wobbles but that's mostly attributed to the light weight tripod.

I do feel the AZ5 would benefit from larger alt-az clutch knobs. They're not always easy to find in the dark and until I got used to the mount, did on a couple of occasions accidently unscrew the extension tube nuts whilst fumbling!

The slomo cables were tried once, but they felt a bit pointless using short tubed scopes so were replaced with the original knobs.

The heavy duty 1.75" tripod does improve stability and increases the AZ5 mount load capacity to 9kg.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-38-stainless-steel-tripod.html

There's also a cheaper Astrotrac aluminium tripod with 3/8s adapter available from 365Astronomy however I can't comment on its performance.

https://www.365astronomy.com/Astrotrac-AT1-Aluminium-Tripod.html

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

• 2 years later...

Great reports guys!

I just recently got the AZ5 for my Manfrotto 028 mount. The cranking column easily handles this load (tested before on other heads).  I find that I get some backlash with the mount... When in standard lower configuration with my SW120 Star Traveler (which I primarily got it for).  I can also mount this with the 8" extension on my wooden Oberwerk tripod, which I may use it with eventually most of the time, but the MF028 is just SO stable, convenient and light it is hard to beat. Very stable too!

I Tried the scope in the upper position but the tube cannot come to near zenith with the 120.  Only about 70 degrees and then I risk hitting my focus knobs. So I will likely HAVE to run on the lower position for the head. Motion is smooth and I note some backlash in both axes, but mainly the Az axis. Is this at all adjustable? 

I just got this so it has some workout to be had before I can fully evaluate it, but it is a very nice utility head for quick viewing and general field observing. 

the FLO folks were GREAT! Shipped and packed VERY quickly and excellent communication during transit and POP as well. I really enjoy these folks - a great vendor to buy from. 

Anyway Clear skies all! More to come later as I finish evaluating it. 

Darren

• 3 months later...

Following these comments (and others) about the AZ5 I took the plunge a few days ago and bought one from FLO. Even though it was "out of stock" it arrived the next day, I wonder how they did that 😀.

I bought it firstly because my faulty AZ GTi has gone back and I don't yet know when the replacement will arrive but also because I realise that this is a true grab and go mount. The moon appeared by mistake above Camberley a few nights ago and I popped my 130PDS on the AZ5 and was literally viewing the moon in a couple of minutes, the Baader Neodymium moon filter I got for Christmas enhanced the experience. The only adjustment I have made is to eliminate a small amount of backlash in the altitude downward movement. I'm glad I bought this mount, I feel it's good value for money and of course I can use it on my existing Skywatcher tripod notwithstanding it's faults.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Stephen Waldee

Re your 6" Newt, S&R, couldn't you put the dob base on an equatorial platform for your tracking when planetary observing? Not a cheap option, I know, but no more than a top-end eyepiece.

Like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/equatorial-astronomy-mounts/asterion-ecliptica-light-tracking-platform-for-dobsonian-telescopes.html

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

@Stephen Waldee I agree re wobbles, 1 second is ideal, 1 to 2 is fine, anything past that gets a little wearing. I do find fine focusers useful for allowing a very light touch and reducing any jitters.

Regarding dobs using an EQ platforms, I use my 8” f8 on one and it works very well. It’s quite a tall spindly scope, with a tendency to vibrate when touched so the EQ platform removes the need for nudging making for much better lunar and planetary views

0D2BD714-5841-477E-956B-D8F07031ABF5.jpeg

3E813F01-2E74-4BB4-84ED-588C4B233C36.jpeg

My AZ5 with my 10lb 102mm refractor, I also use my 13lb NP101 and 20lb 127mm refractors on it as well. Solid as a rock, only at very high powers is there some shake time but not for long. That mount weighs about 21-22 lbs. I recommend it to anyone and everyone !

B5AE3A5F-6A96-4B22-8BD8-A5DC97C8C70B.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice review.

I think the shortened shake time is also due to the excellent heavier tripod, I also use that tripod for AP but generally it's too bulky and heavy for me to use as a  grab and go, when I have used  it for observing shake time is noticeably reduced.

I've also reduced shake time by fitting most of my scopes with an auto focuser.

• Like 1