NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron CG5 GOTO Mount.

HAsun

Hello,

I am looking for some help with a tracking problem with my CG5  mount. What is happening is that it suddenly stops tracking after about 15 minutes. The handset remains powered up and if I push the left hand button on the handset it will start tracking  for a few seconds and then stop ,the only way  I can get it work is to power off the mount  and re-start, it will run again for about 10 - 15 minutes and stop.. I have looked at all the information on the internet and nothing seems to correspond with the problem that I am experiencing. What is odd is that it starts from the stopped position when powered up again without a need to move the mount in any way.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. The mount has been purchased recently from a friend.

Hi Lenscap,

I have tried 2 power supplies, the supplied power cable connected to a mains power supply via the cigarette lighter plug and a mains direct power supply. I have seen mention of the power cable being the problem and people saying that using a thicker cable owing to the current draw is a possible solution ? 

I have had a similar problem, so I searched on the site "Cloudy Nights." was told the "Power Board" is most likely the culprit. I replaced it and everything is back to normal.

That board is where you plug in the hand set, power cord and the on and off switch, it is a $20.00 item. It is apparently a relatively common trouble.

Good luck.

Archived