Blinky's Bespoke Dew Heaters

stefski

Hi All,

I'm not sure if 'Blinky' (Craig) wants to call them this, but when he introduced the idea this was one of the suggested labels and I thought it was appropriate.

I ordered my Dew Heater by PMing Blinky and giving him the specs of my 'scope'. There was a bit of a back log in the orders, as he makes these in his spare time, so I had to wait a couple of weeks. However, when you're only paying ~£40 for a dew heater+controller for an 11" you can't really complain! :p

For a piccie of the the controller, see this link:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,32406.0.html

(Mine is slightly different to this but it works the same way).

The Dew band is powered via a cigarette lighter attachment.

I connected the band to the mains using one of these:

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalog/Palstar_PS-04.html

as advised by 'lx200gps' and 'Ben Ritchie' - cheers guys :D .

Suffice it to say, the dew heater did 'exactly what it says on the tin'.

I used it a couple of nights ago whilst observing and subsequently sketching M76. This object was near zenith at the time and I had the scope at this steep angle for a good 90mins...no dew :thumbright: - the rest of my equipment, ep case and books were soaking!

What else can I say, but many thanks to Criag - you saved me loads of dosh :hello2:

Stef

I have a extremely bespoke heater from Blinky, which is just a single wire loop that I wrap around the nosepiece of my QHY8 to keep it from causing a central dew spot on the outside of the glass. It kicks out an incredible amount if heat, drains the battery pack quickly, but thats exactly what I requested it did, and it does the job!

Another satisfied 'Blinky' user here...

Mine turned up Tuesday - I was lucky enough to try both channels on my ZS66 and on my newly returned AP 102ED that night (yeah - the cloud-gremlins didn't appear - fancy that!)

Not a drop of dew appeared - both bands were noticeable warm (don't know how low I can go yet, but it was below 1/4 of a turn on the dials) - I didn't think it was a particularly dewy night until I noticed that my red-dot finder was completely dewed over - need one for that now!

Can anyone tell me how you determine the optimum settings? Do they change between nights? I've never used a dew heater before!

Good job Craig

Cheers,

Richie

• 2 weeks later...

Just a wee update. Have used Blinky's dew heater a few times now, twice on my new Equinox 120. It fits perfectly and is very easy to set up and use. So far so good - it works perfectly well and is very affordable! No excuse now - go and buy one! I generally have the pot turned about half way when using it with the 120ED and that seems to be fine. Although, it's technically not working as a dew band at the moment, but a frost band!

Ant 8)

Archived