SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First 2019 Jupiter Observation

AdeKing

Had an early start for work this morning but managed to set my alarm earlier than I'd intended so decided to spend the extra hour viewing Jupiter with the ED120 on my giro as it was crisp and clear outside. 

Managed to catch Io the start of the Io transit just before Io passed in front of the disc and saw the clear shadow approx midway across the disc. 

The GRS was also just visible and rotating onto the disc near the limb but it took some work for me to be convinced that it was there and I had seen it. 

Very pleased at the unexpected bonus of the GRS and a shadow transit on a quick grab and go session. 

Went off to work with a smile on my face. Maybe I need to try early morning observing more often.

Ade

Hi Ade

Great to know you got a good look at Jupiter the other morning. Could I ask what was the best magnification you were using with your scope? The reason I ask is that I can get to about x100 on Jupiter these mornings before detail starts getting a little hazy due to it's low position at present

Thanks Joe

59 minutes ago, Joe G said:

Hi Ade

Great to know you got a good look at Jupiter the other morning. Could I ask what was the best magnification you were using with your scope? The reason I ask is that I can get to about x100 on Jupiter these mornings before detail starts getting a little hazy due to it's low position at present

Thanks Joe

Hi Joe,

I think I was using a Baader 8-24mm (which would have given me 37x - 112x) and think that I maxed out at about 10 - 9mm (90-100x) the other morning.

However, when I observe in the evenings I only tend to observe at 75x - 100x and go up to about 120x occasionally as I prefer a smaller but sharper and more contrasty view compared to a larger, less contrasty and less sharp view.

I still consider myself a beginner and I find it difficult to tease out detail when the contrast drops and the new goes less sharp.  Hopefully with experience I'll be able to extract detail as time goes on.

Hope this helps,

Ade 

Archived