Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A worthwhile day observing.

mikeDnight

Yesterday 10/4/19, my observing began earlyish, with paulastro paying me a visit. We set Paul's 102mm Astro Tech ED up on my GP just after lunch and observed a quite beautiful Sun spot, pulling out as much detail as we could. After that we went for a 5 mile walk through the countryside around my home, eventually ending up in a watering hole called The Tim Bobbin. 

After having a Stirfry for tea, we headed out to the garden, accompanied by an old observing buddy Derek, and spent the evening observing the spectacular Moon. Experimenting with various eyepieces in our binoviewers I think we've all ended up with an unexpected list of wants. Derek, who loves Naglers, was completely beside himself after totally transforming the dull short Eye relief view of the Moon through his high power Naglers, when he borrowed my binoviewer and 16.8mm Orthoscopics. It turned his Sky 90 into a spectaculat lunar scope. 

The night ended with a very nice view of tiny 4.5 arc second Mars through my 100mm Tak and Vixen HR's. It was quite remarkable!

IMG_0616.thumb.JPG.c9e2d8ac62f06e84799b87fe8b71431b.JPG

Paul doing his John Merrik impression while observing the Sun.

IMG_0618.JPG.c991423b5d4f91e7f1ed97a00aadeda1.JPG

Paul, now evicted from the observatory.

IMG_0619.JPG.3ba81eeda6a48363c909d45b5c6bdd95.JPG

Derek now sick as a chip after having his Naglers relegated to door stops and paper weights. :evil4:

IMG_0617.JPG.a3cc7c35491321eae2f7b0c983e4ff42.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

2019-04-11 07.54.44.jpg

That sounds like a grand day the three of you had. 

I was in full intention of setting up last night, but alas after leaving work early, I was presented with every obstacle in the known universe "can you stop at shops, can you put bath on and wash the kids, can you feed the little one, my car needs washing off, the birds have been "at it again", can you put washing in the dryer..... we all know how it goes sometimes.

Then I couldn't find the three hex bolts for the piller extension to sky tee, that took 30mins..  Gave up after that like an idiot! 

Stepped out at about 22:30, the sky looked unbelievable from where I was.. from what I can see in your sketch, it wasn't too shabby at all!

Not all bad, I also had stir-fry for tea!

Fabulous Mars drawings Mike, top class.  As I was with you I saw the size of the image of Mars and what the seeing was like, and to extrapolate the detail you did in such conditions  is quite remarkable.

Thank you for a wonderful day Mike and for your hospitality at Brookhaven :smile:

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

That sounds like a grand day the three of you had. 

I was in full intention of setting up last night, but alas after leaving work early, I was presented with every obstacle in the known universe "can you stop at shops, can you put bath on and wash the kids, can you feed the little one, my car needs washing off, the birds have been "at it again", can you put washing in the dryer..... we all know how it goes sometimes.

Then I couldn't find the three hex bolts for the piller extension to sky tee, that took 30mins..  Gave up after that like an idiot! 

Stepped out at about 22:30, the sky looked unbelievable from where I was.. from what I can see in your sketch, it wasn't too shabby at all!

Not all bad, I also had stir-fry for tea!

Sometimes there are forces beyond our control Fozzie. It can't be helped! Kids are worth missing a night's stargazing for, and wives, well they are one of those forces beyond our control, but they are worth it too! At least you had Stir-fry! :happy7:

3 hours ago, paulastro said:

Fabulous Mars drawings Mike, top class.  As I was with you I saw the size of the image of Mars and what the seeing was like, and to extrapolate the detail you did in such conditions  is quite remarkable.

Thank you for a wonderful day Mike and for your hospitality at Brookhaven :smile:

No need to thank me Paul, it was a real pleasure having your company and a joy observing with someone with your joy of the heavens. Plus, I don't think I'd have found my way home from the pub if you hadn't been there. Come to think about it, if you hadn't been here, I wouldn't have gone to the pub in the first place. Like cryptonite to Superman is two pints of cider to someone who rarely drinks alcohol. :coffee22::coffee22:

12 hours ago, BRADLEY 1953 said:

HI  MIKE,  I concur with Paul, et al, fabulous drawings of Mars.  Did your two pints of cider help to enhance the details on show !!.   Best wishes   Chris. 

That's entirely possible Chris, though it was several hours earlier when I had a problem merging images. :happy7:

In revenge for Mike posting dodgy pictures of me on SGL, I thought I'd better post some quality photos of Mike earlier in the day enjoying our solar observing session at Brookhaven Observatory.  For those who aren't  aware  why Mike called his own  observatory Brookhaven, I can only say you haven't read one of the most inspirational books on amateur astronomy ever written.  If I was rich I'd offer a prize for the first person (except Mike!) who posts the answer on this thread, but I'm not, so I won't!!  :smile:

1361364229_134719MikeatBrookhaven.thumb.jpg.89937e5098f823ec10ecba4bfee76514.jpg

981601798_134719MikeatBrookhavenMoonCrop.thumb.jpg.e4c8151b200288258c4f9ca8ab10e8a6.jpg

1596951932_134712MikeHappyChappie.thumb.jpg.fd1408e531883a52343c7ad91c5b2edc.jpg

In honour of Leslie Peltier's rotating observatory at his home in Brookhaven?

If correct can I claim my prize of one gobstopper and a tube of Smarties (not M&Ms) to be left at the Astronomy Centre and I will collect them when next up there.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff Marsden said:

In honour of Leslie Peltier's rotating observatory at his home in Brookhaven?

If correct can I claim my prize of one gobstopper and a tube of Smarties (not M&Ms) to be left at the Astronomy Centre and I will collect them when next up there.

Jeff

Well done that man, clearly a person of good breeding and intellect!  Blimey Jeff, do you think I'm made of money!?  :laugh2:

Look forward to seeing you up at TAC :smile:

Archived