SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tripod, Monopod, Ball head

I am awaiting the arrival of some 15x70 binoculars.

I am relatively new to the hobby and have been trawling several forums and websites, but it is easy to get lost moving from one link to the next.

So can anyone recommend a tripod or monopod, and ball head, to use with the binoculars. I don't have a top end budget, but sense has to prevail with cost. I will be using them to look at the night skies. I don't mind standing, but would like to sit when viewing, I believe it would be difficult with a tripod, but I have seen some setups with horizontal arms (if that makes sense)!

Thanks in advance to all who reply (hopefully).

I use one of these joystick type heads with a Manfrotto 055PR0B...

41bA2kp1wlL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg.8e1578b9a32ea3c8a343d719d11e66f4.jpg

A well known site, (think of a South American rainforest and river), often have a deal of the head + tripod from about £50.00GBP

post-4682-0-36306500-1445866821_thumb.jpg<--- with my 7 x 50's...

post-4682-0-32308400-1445866920_thumb.jpg<--- and my 20 x 80's

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 2

Hi @Caractacus 

Looking at your image/photo, is it 1/4" thread? 

If "Yes!" you will need a 1/4" to 3/8" thread adaptor for the head.

Quote: "...I believe it would be difficult with a tripod, but I have seen some setups with horizontal arms (if that makes sense)!..."

That would be a parallelogram mount. They can be expensive ready made, though if you are a DIY'er, then you can make one.

Edited by Philip R

• 1 month later...

Hi Caractus,

I can well recommend you my setup. I went on that path (looking for the best option, price affordable) a couple of years ago: Using Binos for fast setup (having young kids, there is no much time for late night astronomy), monopod for stability, and a chair to enjoy

Binoculars: Bushnell Legacy 10x50 6.5 FOV. Fully multicoated. BaK-4 prisms

Mount: Rokinon M67 Monopod with Tefoto T3 metal ball head (with 1/4"-to- 3/8" adapter) and an Alpen aluminium tripod adapter)

You can Google these pieces of equipment. I bought them on Amazon, except the binocular: I went into an astronomy shop and test a bunch of them in the range of 100CAD

I've been enjoying this setup a lot. I've made some sketches even on cold nights.

• 4 weeks later...

Pistol grip/ball head as in this image. I bought one of these (tripod and mount) last year for £60 from Amazon:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ravelli+tripod&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE756IE756&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN1vOnuNjiAhWOXRUIHe4bDygQ_AUIECgB&biw=1366&bih=613#imgrc=uMd0yI8SUuAQ_M:

It happily takes my 20x90 bins.

41bA2kp1wlL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg.8e1578b9a32ea3c8a343d719d11e66f4.jpg

Edited by LukeSkywatcher