Grab and Go Dob

Littleguy80

I hadn’t planned on any stargazing last night due to having an early start for a work trip. However, clear skies are hard to resist and so around 10pm I grabbed the 10” dob and headed outside. I keep an observing list on SkySafari of all the targets I read about that I’d like to see. The observing reports section of SGL fuels much of my observing! I’d spent time earlier in the day tidying that list up so I had some targets in mind. The first target was the open cluster NGC2194 in Orion. Given the dob hadn’t had time to cool, an open cluster seemed like a good choice. It proved to be quite a tricky target from my back garden. One thing that I find myself repeatedly doing if a target it difficult is switching from my widefield EPs to my Orthos. The loss of FOV is made up for by an increase in contrast and transmission. The 12.5mm and 9mm BGOs where successful in bringing out this faint cluster. A few faint points of light set amongst the glow of even more fainter stars. I got the same feeling of achievement from this that seeing an even fainter targets from dark skies gives me. 

In Gemini, I sought out the planetary nebula NGC2371. Much easier to find than the cluster but a more engaging target visually. The double lobed planetary looked fantastic at 200x with the 6mm BGO and an OIII filter. This was a new target for me. As a planetary nebula fan, I was surprised this target hadn’t caught my attention before. I couldn’t be this close to the Eskimo Nebula and not observe it. I normally view this unfiltered so it was interesting to see it lthrough the OIII. The central star seemed lost through the filter so I decided that unfiltered was still my preference. With my bed calling, I decided to grab one more target. The spiral galaxy, NGC2403 in Camelopardalis was my choice. A nice glowing galaxy which seemed quite large to me. Particularly coming from the two little planetary nebulae. I made a note to revisit this from a dark site. So after an hour observing I packed up and headed in. Even a 10” dob can give a good short grab and go session. 

Nice one Neil

NGC2371 I struggled with many years ago when I first got into the hobby with the 8" scope. Once I'd perfected star hopping it seemed a doddle.

The Medusa Neb in Gemini is quite a challenge and a lot larger than you'd expect.

Last night the clouds beat my rusty star hopping and I didn't quite land the eyepiece on the Eskimo but I was trying from memory. Next time I'll have it :wink2:

Archived