Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SharpCap Smart Histogram

Z3roCool

Hi there, found one thread on this but wondered if anyone had actually used the output from the Smart Histogram in SharpCap and what were the results like, did they help, improve your imaging?

Cheers,

Tom.

I tried to investigate also, I though I will use SharpCap to Analise sky brightness for exposure times to use in SGP... But... I use ASI1600, which has Gain settings in it's driver... and....

I was not able to get any info what SharpCap Gain options do to my ASI settings if drivers are set for example on Unity Gain.

For example, default ASI gain is 139, and if you move SharpCap gain to 100, - what actual gain do you have? :) 239 or 100? or the same 139?

Even on SharpCap forum, my question was ignored... :(

Not sure how Altair cam gain settings are managed, - if the same, and you found the answer, I would be very  interested.

2 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

I tried to investigate also, I though I will use SharpCap to Analise sky brightness for exposure times to use in SGP... But... I use ASI1600, which has Gain settings in it's driver... and....

I was not able to get any info what SharpCap Gain options do to my ASI settings if drivers are set for example on Unity Gain.

For example, default ASI gain is 139, and if you move SharpCap gain to 100, - what actual gain do you have? :) 239 or 100? or the same 139?

Even on SharpCap forum, my question was ignored... :(

Not sure how Altair cam gain settings are managed, - if the same, and you found the answer, I would be very  interested.

Interesting...I am yet to have a go at this as not got my camera yet...planning on tweaking my guiding tonight with my Altair GPCAM so will have a better look then. Will be intrigued to see what the setting is also when adjusting the gain in SC. Will keep posted if I find anything. Surprised Sharpcap forums ignored it, I hear they are normally pretty helpful/knowledgeable.

Just checked again and I do have the answer:

"the gain value displayed in SharpCap for the ZWO cameras will match the values shown on their sense of charts on the ZWO website. So if you're looking for unity gain at a value of 139 then just set the SharpCap gain value to 139. ZW0 cameras measure the gain in tenths of the decibel above the minimum camera again, so a value of 139 means that the actual gain is 13.9 dB above the minimum value."

As I recall, my trial and error method, had the same results as SharpCap smart-histogram. London Light= Unity gain and 300sec exposures max in Narrow Band, 30sec in RGB.

And on another hand, changing Gain and sub lenght each session will force you to create quite a large lib of calibration subs...

Staying on the Unity gain and a bit less exposure time than Optimal (as some nights are brighter than others) with larger amount of subs, = the same calibration files for long period of time and less headache! :) 

Archived