NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lovely Skies Tonight

Littleguy80

I had a less than great day today. Nothing terrible. Definitely in the first world problems category. I have been 100% cheered up by the skies unexpectedly clearing. Was only out for about an hour and a half. Split some doubles, took another look at Asteroid Pallas. Then onto the Leo triplet which looked great through my recently acquired 25mm TV Plossl. The Eskimo nebula was stunning at 240x which was a repeat of my first proper wow moment with my 10” dob just over a year ago. The Owl Nebula and Messier Galaxy M108 were great. Finally got to work my way down Markarian’s Chain for the first time this year. 

The great thing about it is that I have you all to share it with. People who understand how time under stars can bring a sense of calm and perspective. People I can ask questions of whether that be prospective equipment purchases or help with finding a target. I regularly buy equipment from SGL members such as the TV Plossl with total confidence that it will arrive exactly as described.

I wrote a post about trying to find a particular Quasar a month or two back. I eventually managed to observe it. Out of the blue today, I got a comment on that post from someone in Sweden who I’d never spoken to before. They had read my report and against their own expectations managed to see it. A few hours later another member also reported observing it this evening. The only reason that I even knew it existed was because another member, from Germany if memory serves, had recommended it to me as a target. 

Astronomy is a fab hobby that is all the better for having like minded people to share it with. One of the very nicest corners of the internet imho. 

Lovely report Neil and well done getting some more sky time tonight. I'm imaging which as you know is my preference, or is it (?) as I do like some visual connection to the eyepiece from time to time too. I only picked up on your quasar quest today when I saw that post from Sweden and really enjoyed reading the entire thread. Well done getting that one :thumbright:. Cheers, Geof

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Lovely report Neil and well done getting some more sky time tonight. I'm imaging which as you know is my preference, or is it (?) as I do like some visual connection to the eyepiece from time to time too. I only picked up on your quasar quest today when I saw that post from Sweden and really enjoyed reading the entire thread. Well done getting that one :thumbright:. Cheers, Geof

Thanks Geof. Was really nice to get out. What are you imaging tonight? Even with visual as my main passion, I still enjoy taking little pics through the eyepiece. The results you guys with amateur kit is astounding to me. Maybe I’ll turn to the dark side of imaging one day ;) 

That post from Sweden really made me smile. Great to think of inspiring someone so far away. 

Nice report Neil.

Although I managed to get PG 1634+706 the transparency is not quite as good here tonight so galaxies are proving harder work than earlier this week. My scope is still out but I may bring it in soon. 5th night in a row observing - it's wearing me out !

8 minutes ago, John said:

Nice report Neil.

Although I managed to get PG 1634+706 the transparency is not quite as good here tonight so galaxies are proving harder work than earlier this week. My scope is still out but I may bring it in soon. 5th night in a row observing - it's wearing me out !

5 nights observing! That’s great going. Your wife will find your asleep at the eyepiece in the morning ?There was definite dip in transparency here which led me to come in. The forecast here for tomorrow night looks good :D 

6 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks Geof. Was really nice to get out. What are you imaging tonight? Even with visual as my main passion, I still enjoy taking little pics through the eyepiece. The results you guys with amateur kit is astounding to me. Maybe I’ll turn to the dark side of imaging one day ;) 

That post from Sweden really made me smile. Great to think of inspiring someone so far away. 

Hi Neil, I'm capturing subs on M100. Ive got an hour each RGB and now into my 2nd hour L - I posted an uncalibrated but stretched single L sub over on the 'so much for the clear night....' thread earlier, if you want to check it out....

I wouldn't come over to the dark side in a hurry ?; I sometimes wish that I hadn't gone down the imaging path as I don't experience the same 'connection' imaging as I do on those occasions when I get into some visual observing. Look at tonight - just a single galaxy target when I could have visited severals 10s at the eyepiece.... I started my particuar AP journey when living in much more light poluted Surrey skies, so not so sure I'd have gone that way if I'd been living in Norfolk from the get go after I retired....!!

Cheers, Geof

4 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Nice report Neil, and I have given you your 3000th Like.:thumbsup:

No real observing tonight, but I spent 90 minutes polar aligning my mount until it was spot on, so I was at least under the stars.:smiley:

Wow. Thanks Steve. That’s a nice milestone to reach. 

Good work on your mount polar alignment. I bet it felt good to come on here and tell someone who would actually be impressed by your efforts :) 

4 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Hi Neil, I'm capturing subs on M100. Ive got an hour each RGB and now into my 2nd hour L - I posted an uncalibrated but stretched single L sub over on the 'so much for the clear night....' thread earlier, if you want to check it out....

I wouldn't come over to the dark side in a hurry ?; I sometimes wish that I hadn't gone down the imaging path as I don't experience the same 'connection' imaging as I do on those occasions when I get into some visual observing. Look at tonight - just a single galaxy target when I could have visited severals 10s at the eyepiece.... I started my particuar AP journey when living in much more light poluted Surrey skies, so not so sure I'd have gone that way if I'd been living in Norfolk from the get go after I retired....!!

Cheers, Geof

The M100 image is coming on great. The spiral arms are very impressive. Makes me want to give it a go from Seething to see what detail I can get visually. 

The connection is one of the things that I really love about visual. With the Quasar, knowing that those photons that have traveled all that distance and finally arrived at my eye through my telescope. Mind boggling. Maybe you need a second scope for observing with while you image? Best of both worlds!

15 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

5 nights observing! That’s great going. Your wife will find your asleep at the eyepiece in the morning ?There was definite dip in transparency here which led me to come in. The forecast here for tomorrow night looks good :D 

Big dip here too - due to fog that came from nowhere. Packed in as well now. Tomorrow night is Society talk night but I may be able to get a scope out later - if I have the energy !

Archived