NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's EEVA?!?

Grant

Just now, PeterW said:

….. only a tiny bit into the infrared….. you can see the moon in thermal infrared but not a lot more…. Crap resolution cameras/lenses.

As long as people understand the location, equipment, light pollution etc of an observation then they can make of it what they want/need to. Hearing how things appear in different situations is great. NV is little different from using a huge dobsonian in being “different from what the average amateur” has. I like posts from people “doing things differently”, it’s how we find out new things.

Peter

You are all able to post these up Peter, in the EEVA section!  If you chaps posted up more observations in there, the section would naturally get more attention and input.

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

Observing with NV is not technically difficult in any way. 

Yes it is depending on what you are observing and looking for. Eg the extremely faint Eridanus Loop does require dark adaption, adjusting gain just so to get the best level of contrast, potentially also averted vision (which does work with nv). Also I often spend a long time observing objects such as the rosette which are easy to “see” with nv but not so easy to tease out the fine dark nebulae details.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Yes it is depending on what you are observing and looking for. Eg the extremely faint Eridanus Loop does require dark adaption, adjusting gain just so to get the best level of contrast, potentially also averted vision (which does work with nv). Also I often spend a long time observing objects such as the rosette which are easy to “see” with nv but not so easy to tease out the fine dark nebulae details.

Fair enough! I don’t think that changes the conversation generally though, the targets and visibility are very different to traditional observing so are clearer if discussed separately. You know that always been my bugbear, that reports are mixed up and not clearly labelled as such, it easy to miss those two little letters in a commentary so people become confused.

Anyway, it’s a choice really, I think if the NV observers on SGL decided to start posting reports, then they would naturally get more visibility (pun intended) and so it would build from there. As it is there are none, or very few, so there is little attention paid to it.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

dark adaptation

You certainly need this for NV, I get better views when my eyes have adapted.

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

NV is likely to remain a very niche part of the hobby for a long time to come due to the cost

2 hours ago, Stu said:

NV is a hugely expensive, active light amplifier available to very few which

Putting in a different section also due to cost makes no sense. I can think of a French Sky Vision 16” dob which costs more then a C11 and a NVD put together, however posting in the DSO section using a Dob and cost never comes up. I could also point out the EP sets containing only TeleVue and again cost never comes up. This smells like a red herring…

Hypothetically say I did an observing session with a BV scope with an OIII filter on one side of a mount and another scope with a NVD attached on the other side of the mount where would it get reported? I’m visually observing but if I follow the rules I need to report the same observation session in different forums….

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

You certainly need this for NV, I get better views when my eyes have adapted.

Putting in a different section also due to cost makes no sense. I can think of a French Sky Vision 16” dob which costs more then a C11 and a NVD put together, however posting in the DSO section using a Dob and cost never comes up. I could also point out the EP sets containing only TeleVue and again cost never comes up. This smells like a red herring…

Hypothetically say I did an observing session with a BV scope with an OIII filter on one side of a mount and another scope with a NVD attached on the other side of the mount where would it get reported? I’m visually observing but if I follow the rules I need to report the same observation session in different forums….

Martin, the frustration is that if a fraction of the energy which is going into this thread were put into posting reports in the EEVA section, NV would have a much higher profile on SGL than it does now.

Again you are missing the point. A SkyVision 16” dob is still a dob, and will show no better images than any other 16” with similar optics so it sits quite happily in the observation section.

Admin made a decision some time back to create a section for EEVA where your hypothetical situation could sit quite happily, along with any other NV posts.

I don’t intend to take up any more of my evening arguing the toss on this. The answer to all of this is for NV observers to post up observing threads in the EEVA section and that will rebuild the presence on the forum. Simples.

• Like 1

• Stu locked this topic