Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help stacking images with less stars

Hi

I’m hoping someone will be able to help me.

I have been taking astrophotos for many years using dslr but I have moved on to an Atik 314l+ which I have found is a great camera to cut your ccd teeth on. 

As it’s Galaxy season, I have paired it up to an 8”sct with a 6.3focal reducer/field flattener. I’m getting up close and personal with many deep sky objects but when it comes to processing my data deep sky stacker doesn’t like the lack of stars available especially in the green channel. 

Does anyone have any tips?

Have I reached the limits of free stacking software? I’ll include a screenshot of the type of image I am dealing with.

thanks in advance for any help

clear skies

Bryan 

12F898DC-4B9A-4036-9BED-1745E9BDF9FA.png

Hi Bryan, I'm using a similar setup, 10"SCT Atik314L AP.67 f/r, just capturing some galaxies ATM.

I've been using Maxim for years and only ever used DSS for DSLR  images, is there an option to select alignment stars manually.

Dave

Hi Dave 

thanks for the speedy response! 

I’ve never used Maxim, A couple of questions spring to mind.  Is it freeware? And how do you use it?

I guess, Google will have all the answers and tutorials I need though! 

Thanks for the tip! 

Clear skies 

Bryan 

Hi, Bryan.

I use the live-stacking option in Sharpcap. I can never remember if that is in the free version or one of the features that is only in the £10 version. It automatically stacks the subs as they come in (adjusted for flat and dark frame). You can save either the final stack, the final image as adjusted using the inbuilt histogram, the individual subs for later stacking, or any combination of those three. My default is the first two, which I find not only saves time, it also saves a lot of disk space.

Archived