Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

UK's only lunar observer? 20th March

Paz

It looked like there would be a break in the clouds last night so I put out the ST120 for a go at the moon. I had in mind the whole moon for rays and the south pole area where there might be some features worth a go.

Clouds rolled in quickly so I gave up on the south pole and stuck with 50x looking at the whole moon through quite thick cloud. Whilst checking out the rays and big features the brightness came and went with the clouds. When it was darker it was black and white, and when the brightness came back a yellow glow would appear off the limb, reminding me that I didn't have my semi apo filter in use.

I found myself wondering if I was the only person out there having a look despite the cloud and it being a full moon!

You were not alone! I spent about an hour and a half observing, initially looking at clusters and brighter fuzzies, but as the Moon rose above the observatory wall I had a nice view of the craters along the southern and south eastern limb. There's something magical about seeing the Moon when full as I'd hangs almost three dimensionally in a low power eyepiece. Perhaps the best view last night was through my 35mm Eudiascopic, with the occasional cloud crossing adding to the effect. :icon_biggrin:

4 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

You were not alone! I spent about an hour and a half observing, initially looking at clusters and brighter fuzzies, but as the Moon rose above the observatory wall I had a nice view of the craters along the southern and south eastern limb.

The south south did look promising, although I find it quite hard sometimes to be sure which crater is which down there!

14 hours ago, Paz said:

The south south did look promising, although I find it quite hard sometimes to be sure which crater is which down there!

I'm pleased to see another observer has this problem, I thought it was just me.

Archived