Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asiair kit or Revolution R2

Steve Clay

Hi,

Anybody have any first hand experience of the Asiair package or the Revolution R2.

They are both similarly priced.

I would like to be able to see realtime images of DSO's on my Tablet or the R2s screen that show colour in Nebula etc.

Anybody have any thoughts on either package.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, but you might want to consider Stellarmate as well. I started using it recently, and it's very nice. It looks similar to the ASIAIR (same hardware: Raspberry Pi 3B+), but it implements much more features. It's an older and more mature solution, which relies on open source software (Ekos, INDILIB). The ASIAIR, on the other hand, is very new, and still a "work in progress" project, but it seems very promising.

From what I've seen, ASIAIR seems more tablet friendly (iOS or Android), due to the dedicated app, with a simplified interface. 

Stellarmate can be controlled via both a PC and a tablet, and gives you more control eventually, but there is no dedicated app like the ASIAIR. You can basically use the screen sharing feature from the Stellarmate, to broadcast it on your tablet/computer. So I'd say it might be less user friendly. Alternatively, you can use the Stellarmate only as an INDI server, and run all the programs you like to use on your tablet/computer. 

In the end, if you want to do EAA only, it might be easier and more straightforward with the ASIAIR, due to the dedicated app. If you have bigger needs, like autoguiding, filter wheel management, setting up capture sequences or even remote control of your equipment... Stellarmate would be the way to go.

I can't comment on Revolution R2, I have never heard of it.

Good luck! :) 

• Like 1

The ASIair cannot currently do 'live stacking' but it will certainly display the most recent exposure you have taken with colour if using a OSC camera.

I believe 'live stacking' and other EAA features have been requested so hopefully will be added in future updates to the ASIair app - it really is developing extraordinarily quickly and the developers are very responsive and committed to the product.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The R2 was my first camera I bought for EAA and really got me hooked. I started to see so many deep sky objects that I only would have dreamed of seeing from my back garden.

Its uses a very sensitive IMX811 sony CCD sensor. Can do colour or mono. Can be used with sharpcap live stacking if you use the USB video capture card. Only down size is FOV limited by 1/3 chip sensor size

Here is a section of objects that I've imaged using this camera. They are not hubble..this is real time, no processing apart from stacking. It's worth noting these are taken with a C5 OTA from an urban backyard with sub 5 mins total stacking time.

Crab Nebula

775786166_crabnebula.PNG.5f12122fd12eef07c4cf7223a45250b1.PNG

M81 and M82

m81m82.PNG.20cb6c47c4a02ec4e6545edd6cf22afa.PNG

Dumbell Nebula

764202686_M27dumbell.PNG.a091a9a776874788c9b28adceeb4c133.PNG

M2

M2.PNG.acea897a05281d123a480da6d9bf4d72.PNG

M92

M92.PNG.681765b9354b6062e8fa8fce7bdc11e7.PNG

Andromeda

andromenda2.PNG.0063ce9582a1ed72e453b7b671232edc.PNG

Bodes galaxy

1406810706_bodesgalaxy.PNG.fcac87693cd817ab81f21ed5bb3fae14.PNG

Cigar galaxy

345758796_cigargalaxy.PNG.d83c906fcf9b1e1be69efae1735bfc10.PNG

Needle Galaxy

Stack_939frames_79s.png.9428d42b8df01151ff47c7aa877cfdb1.png

Pinwheel galaxy

Stack_300frames_81s.png.7e89127e237f98d106398166faf7f4ab.png

Orion nebula

orionneb1.PNG

Edited by festoon

• 1 month later...

Wow!  Those are indeed wonderful images.

I'm a new user of the Revolution R2 from California (the camera, not me!).  I have gotten lovely colour views of M57, the Blinking Planetary, and an OK view of the Eskimo/Clown Face.  I can't see any galaxies or star clusters at all.  The galaxies I suspect are just a matter of more practice, but  I think the problem with star clusters is the number of really bright hot pixels on my camera.  I've got 17 super bright ones, and quite a few more small ones.  Does anyone have any advice for how I might deal with this issue?  It's lovely to see the colours in the planetaries, but that's not my sole reason for buying this kit!

Forgot to mention, I'm using a Celestron Evolution 9.25 inch SCT (so I *know* those star clusters were in the FOV, even if I couldn't see them.)  From an urban location.  I don't know if it was necessary, but I used a Bahtinov mask to focus before observing with the R2, and that worked a treat!

Edited by veteran neophyte

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...