Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed for SkyFi 3 with an Android phone?

AdeKing

I've recently been very frustrated by the fact that the SynScan Pro app just won't play nicely with SkySafari 6. I've recently started observing doubles and there just aren't enough targets in the SynScan App list. 

So I've bitten the bullet and picked up a used Skyfi 3 figuring that being from the same company that it would just work. 

The info on the Simulation Curriculum website states that it is compatible with Android, but I cannot get it to work. 

I've tried it with an iPhone and it just works out of the box so the unit is working OK. 

The Android phone can see the SkyFi and connect to it, SkySafari recognises it and updates the WiFi config and I can access the Skyfi config page from SkySafari but when I try to connect to the telescope I get an error saying that SkySafari cannot connect and to check the WiFi connection. 

On checking the WiFi connection everything is still connected. 

Phone is Huawei P20 Android Pie v9.0

Skyfi f/w v1.3.4

SkySafari Plus v6.1.0.34

Has anyone had similar problems and solved them? 

Any help gratefully received, 

Ade

Hi Ade.

Forgive my ignorance... quote: "Phone is Huawei P20 Android Pie v9.0" - the text I have placed in italic font, is that the version of Android OS or the model number?

If "No!" is the Android OS up to date. Sorry but I forget which version it is now!

Ade,  I use a SkyFi 3 unit with a Samsung Galaxy S9 with up to date version 9 software and it runs very well.

This is with a GP-DX Mount and a Skysensor 2000PC controller but at least shows that the Android/SkyFi 3 connection can work. If there is anything you would like me to check, let me know.

On 16/03/2019 at 23:59, michael8554 said:

Is your mount on the list of compatible mount, I don't see it listed ?

Michael 

The mounts that I'm trying to connect to are a Skywatcher EQ5 and a Skywatcher AZ Gti which are using the Skywatcher SynScan handset which is listed as compatible. 

The Skyfi unit is connected to the handset using the same serial cable used for updating firmware and alignment is done via the SynScan handset before the Skyfi is connected. 

The system works fine if an iPhone running SkySafari is used so I know that it can and does work. 

I just can't get it to work with the Android phone. 

On 17/03/2019 at 06:47, Stu said:

Ade,  I use a SkyFi 3 unit with a Samsung Galaxy S9 with up to date version 9 software and it runs very well.

This is with a GP-DX Mount and a Skysensor 2000PC controller but at least shows that the Android/SkyFi 3 connection can work. If there is anything you would like me to check, let me know.

Thanks Stu, that's interesting to know. Could you possibly post a screenshot of the SkySafari scope settings screen?

I've also tried with my Android tablet which is Android v7 but with no luck. The error is instant on both devices. 

I'll try resetting the Skyfi again and see if that makes a difference. 

Work have agreed to let me have my old iphone for a nominal cost so that's sorted at least. 

Will try the Simulation Curriculum help forum to see what they suggest. 

Thanks for your help both of you. 

Ade

Archived