Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette Nebula Image - Help Needed

bendiddley

I thought you'd be pleased.  It will be interesting to know what settings you may have had different to mine, so we can use this as a point of reference in the future, should any-one else incur the same problem.

Carole 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I used all your calibration files including the flats.

Star colour, a new trick I devised, it has only taken me around 9 years to work it out (lol).  

I selected the stars, expanded and feathered them.  Then I used image adjust, Match colour and upped the middle slider to the right, all the way.  I also did a second iteration up to halfway.  This allows the star colour to be increased without affecting the rest of the image. Deselect and continue processing.  I normally do this after the first 1 or 2 iterations of levels, i.e. before the star colour gets washed out.

Carole 

3 minutes ago, carastro said:

Yes I used all your calibration files including the flats.

Star colour, a new trick I devised, it has only taken me around 9 years to work it out (lol).  

I selected the stars, expanded and feathered them.  Then I used image adjust, Match colour and upped the middle slider to the right, all the way.  I also did a second iteration up to halfway.  This allows the star colour to be increased without affecting the rest of the image. Deselect and continue processing.  I normally do this after the first 1 or 2 iterations of levels, i.e. before the star colour gets washed out.

Carole 

Hi Carole. Is this the same method you use in your video tutorial? I was watching them last night! I've only used PI up to now but have acquired a copy of PS and Steve's book so learning the PS ropes, so to speak!

Is this the same method you use in your video tutorial? I was watching them last night! I've only used PI up to now but have acquired a copy of PS and Steve's book so learning the PS ropes, so to speak!

I don't think I have done a video tutorial on increasing star colour, I was considering doing one, but I don;t think I got that far.

Carole 

32 minutes ago, carastro said:

I don't think I have done a video tutorial on increasing star colour, I was considering doing one, but I don;t think I got that far.

Carole 

In one the videos you went into one of the tools and done 2 iterations of pushing a slider over to the right. It may have been the Add Lum to RGB video?

I went back to my tutorials and you are right I mention it in the RGB tutorial.

Another thing you can do if you don;t want to increase the colour of the nebula is select the stars.  

Select/colour range/highlights. 

Select modify/expland (6pxs)

Select modify/feather/(3pxs i.e. half the amount you expanded) and simply increase the colour of the stars independently from the nebula.

Carole 

I found imaging the Rosette in Ha gave much more detailed data than luminance.  

If you get chance to image with a Ha filter then add that as a Luminance channel. 

Then you can use another copy of  that same data as 40% or so of the red channel also.

Just to let you all know I had success in the end with my image. With a lot of help from Carole who went the extra mile to say the least  I managed to work out what the problem was. It turns out it was my copy of DSS which was the problem. I had been using it on my mac in an environment called boot camp which allows macs to run windows. The mac starts up in windows so everything is the same its just that its running on a mac. Anyway to cut a long story short, I tried using DSS on my netbook, which I've never done before as I've always thought it was too slow to run the program but thought I'd try anyway and lo and behold, it worked!!! Carole also helped me with post processing and following the methods she uses I was able to create the image I was after. So I thought I would share the result with you. I am so happy with this image as it is the best one I have done and I couldn't have done it without Carole. Really looking forward to going back to previous sessions and applying all of this to them and seeing what results I get.

Rosette 8 v2.jpg

Archived