Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting setup

I am thinking of getting a scope, but I don't know what to get, I don't understand the sky maps.

I want to spend about 200 quid on a scope, which one I have no idea, will i be able to see more than the moon, will Mars and others be visable,  one of my reasons is my conspiracy  family member keeps telling me about these planets that are there effecting our weather.

So I want to see for myself

Hi @Chaza and welcome to SGL. :hello2:For ease of use and minimal setup you could go for a Dobsonian... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians.html - The 6inch would be a good start at about £210, or if you are feeling adventurous, go for the 8inch at about £290. Just place it on a near level surface, (preferebly grass), and you are ready to go.

Find a local astro society/club too. Some even loan out equipment for a monthly fee.

Download a copy of Stellarium too. 

Chaza

Welcome from Land Down Under

If you just intend using for visual use only, then agree Dob is the way to go

Have attached pic of my 10" collapsible dob

The dob in the background is a 8" collapsible, with light shroud fitted

When using on grass, put down a waterproof ground sheet, as the base is only made of chipboard, and moisture from the ground, over time can damage the turntable of the mount

There is a number of handy Apps around for Android phones

Sky Map, Lunar Phase, gives you the phases of the moon, and identifies eclipses, 

ISS Detector, for observing the ISS when flies over your location

I also use Heavens Above, which is another hand App

Not sure about planets been weather effecting

Our sun is the biggest impact on our weather, sunspot activity

To follow sun activity, use link http://www.spaceweather.com/

John

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

Hi Welcome to SGL.

Firstly, sounds like you have zero experience of anything Astronomical.   So with that in mind, DON'T BUY A TELESCOPE YET!   Instead, there's an Astronomy Society near you, go along to that. Take some time to learn the basics of the night sky - you don't need much, just teach yourself to identify the pole star, and a few of the major constillations.

Talk to people at the Astronomy Society, I'm sure they'll suggest that you get a good pair of binoculars before getting a telescope.  Also a basic sky chart will help.

Beyond that, if you really want to spend the money and get a scope, by all means go for it.   Just make sure that you are jumping in with your eye's open and won't be spending money on something that will gather dust.

As for planets, yes, it is possible to see them all at various times of the  year.   But they don't effect the weather here on earth.

Welcome - As suggested above, get hold of a computer/ipad/phone based sky map program. The fact you can set in your local time will help you start to spot what you are looking at. You won't go far wrong just starting with the moon. Move onto larger planets when they are available. Small planets, like Mars, can be a bit of a disppointment if you don't know what to expect, so read around a bit.

All great advice. I rushed into my first telescope buy about 6 years ago and ended up with something that didn’t really suit so didn’t really use.

You’ll get plenty of scope with that budget. I’ve just picked up an almost brand new 200p Dob with the supplied lenses, a few other lenses and filters (all decent brand and never unwrapped), a couple of Barlows and a laser collimator for £210. Only trouble is, it hasn’t stopped raining since. 

16 hours ago, AstroStokie said:

All great advice. I rushed into my first telescope buy about 6 years ago and ended up with something that didn’t really suit so didn’t really use.

You’ll get plenty of scope with that budget. I’ve just picked up an almost brand new 200p Dob with the supplied lenses, a few other lenses and filters (all decent brand and never unwrapped), a couple of Barlows and a laser collimator for £210. Only trouble is, it hasn’t stopped raining since. 

So the rain is all your fault.  I was wondering who to blame. ?️?️?️⛈️

Archived