Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Roadrunr

counteract the more red in daylight photo's

Hi all, ready for a newbi question?

Has there ever been someone that counteracted the  "more red" in daylight photo's from a modded Canon 100D done with putting a filter on the "daylight" lens and not by using software? and if so, what did you use? (type, name, brand, price)

Why do I ask: I have a good unmodded camera but I just wont to know if it can be done :)

-Pim-

Easiest way (and free!) is to set a custom white balance with a sheet of white paper under whatever illumination source you intend to use. Usually you find custom white balance under the white balance settings within the camera menu's - check your manual to set how your particular camera needs to be set-up for custom balances.

• Like 1

As Francis says, I did this with my modded 60D.  Set up a custom white balance and use it all the time.  I actually used a photographers grey card rather than white.  It worked very well.

• Like 2

as soon as the Canon is here (now on  it's way from England) I willl look in to that, Thank you, but was just wondering if it can be done with a filter on your lens.

Posted (edited)

Astronomic make a filter that counteracts that red shift, I think it’s called an OWB (origonal white balance) filter and clips inside..HTH

Edited by LunarView
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/03/2019 at 10:47, fwm891 said:

Easiest way (and free!) is to set a custom white balance with a sheet of white paper under whatever illumination source you intend to use. Usually you find custom white balance under the white balance settings within the camera menu's - check your manual to set how your particular camera needs to be set-up for custom balances.

Francis, I did not thank you jet but here it is, a BIG thank you, when you wrote this I had not my lenses yet, well today cameIMG_0033.thumb.JPG.fd424d0c389776537e161837146d41c9.JPGIMG_0032.thumb.JPG.4e58e15c96d55a9bec807d90c084bdd8.JPGIMG_0031.thumb.JPG.0ae9c908636173fa48d5b6c58eb2d6f4.JPGIMG_0030.thumb.JPG.541207341f2a1dfa6e158bf12943b53f.JPG a 35-80mm end a 80-200 lens (only 65 euro all in) so I remembered this comment en tride it, works greet, thank you again. :) 

not in low light, not in natural light, not with flashlight, thanks again (saves a 127 euro filter)

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

Edited by Roadrunr

3 minutes ago, Roadrunr said:

Francis, I did not thank you jet but here it is, a BIG thank you, whe you wrote this I had not my lenses yet, well today cam a 35-80mm end a 80-200 lens (only 65 euro all in) so I remembered this comment en tride it, works greet, thank you again. :) 

not in low light, not in natural light, not with flashlight, thanks again (saves a 127 euro filter)

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

By rights you should use a neutral grey card to create a custom white balance, you can actually buy the card from a camera shop, then at midday with the sun behind take an image of the grey card outside, and set that as the white balance, it should be almost perfect then... :)

• Like 1

On 10/03/2019 at 09:47, fwm891 said:

Easiest way (and free!) is to set a custom white balance

That's what I told him when I sold him the camera..........

Michael