NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Slightly dodgy M81...

discardedastro

Not a lot of exposure time in this - only a few hours across a couple of nights, and was struggling with focus throughout - a Baader Steeltrack focuser and a Senso Sesto are on the shopping list! Threw out quite a few longer exposures due to guiding issues (turns out guide cameras can't see through a coating of dew very well - Lacerta deltaT heater controller has now arrived and been installed along with a Dew Zapper band, so that ought to help). Actually ran about half of this unguided; the EQ6-R does pretty well with a good polar alignment. Ran all this with Ekos using INDI on a laptop by the scope, which is working pretty well for control. One or two things I kind of miss from SGP, but nothing major.

Still got quite a nice result out of this regardless, I think, albeit noisy and with a satellite trail I missed in preprocessing. I didn't do deconvolution - still really struggling to get PI to achieve a nice result without ringing, even using masks and star maps for local deringing. Hopefully will be able to improve on this!

M81.thumb.jpg.88e7d46f4d98cf374683936879e6ea53.jpg

9 hours ago, Adam J said:

Nice, what scope and camera? 

This was a ASI183MM-PRO on my Skywatcher 200PDS, EQ6-R mount; Baader LRGB filters in a ZWO EFW with MPCC3 fronting the train. Guiding was a 120MC on a Primaluce 60mm scope.

I did capture some Ha, but the guiding issues meant I was struggling with the longer exposures - I only ended up with a few usable frames.

Dodgy?  You're kidding, right?  Looks lovely to me - nice colours and a natural process.  I suspect that the dust lanes could stand a bit more contrast and sharpening but maybe that's not possible if you've got limited data...

Archived