Best small water resistant 12 v connector?

michaelmorris

I'm looking at a slight redesign of the 12v feed to my all sky camera.  I'd like to the able to simply plug in a small connector into a socket ion the underside of the camera enclosure.   It would need to have a 1.5 to 2 A capacity and be reasonably weatherproof.  Any suggestions?

Connectors like those identified by Jkulin are found under car bonnets and in wheel arches in all sorts of variants.
They survive temperature cycling, noxious fuel/oil vapours and water spray for years.

A good choice at moderate cost.

When opening any on the car, I always give them a little bit of silicone (electrical) grease to keep the corrosion at bay.

4 hours ago, Stargazer33 said:

I have those on my new power distribution hub. They're nice plugs, but I don't think they are waterproof.

They only need to be relatively weatherproof, not fully waterproof. The connection would be on underside of the case, so should never be at risk of having water running down in to it.

hence why I said, yes they would....  if you really want better, then go for Neutrik Speakon connectors, but they are bigger\more expensive etc.....   even the standard 2.1mm connectors are reasonably 'weather proof', just not as robust\secure 

Neutrik offer a whole range of connectors. They are often used (or is that abused) for stage work and survive.

They come in cable, or chassis/bulkhead mount, 2 pins up to (I think) 7 pins. Male or female inserts.

An important consideration is the retaining latches. The last thing any of us want is intermittent connetions in the dark.

Historically the connector style was 'Cannon'. For the same reasons you 'hoover' your floors.

One thing to bear in mind about the so-called 'aviation' plugs is that their cable clamping range is minuscule. To have the cable securely clamped, you need exactly the right size cable. I know they are called 'aviation' connectors but speaking personally I would never set foot on any aeroplane that used connectors like these. The Neutrik XLR connectors are far, far better.

Regards, Hugh

Also have a look at M12 industrial automation connectors. These are the industry standard for sensors and small actuators in factory machinery and some heavy transport applications. They are small, 2-5 pole, waterproof, standardized and have a few amps current capacity. There are bulkhead sockets and inline sockets and plugs and splitters and special distribution blocks. The relevant standard is IEC61076-2-101. Consider using them with PUR sheathed cable to avoid low temperature stiffening as found with PVC. Lots of suppliers make them. Some are listed on Digikey.

I’ve never seen them used in private observatories or semi-pro imaging rigs despite the safety and sealing advantages. Perhaps it’s due to price? I don’t know.

Archived