Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece for fast scope.

Kev hill

Hi all, I need advice for an eyepiece for my f4. 7 newtonian. I'm currently using a vixen N P L 30 mm which I think is quite good, and was wondering would the shorter focal length eyepieces in the N P L range be any good for a fast scope. 

Hi Kev, welcome to the lounge.  Not sure about the NPL's as I have not tried them, but generally speaking you will need better quality eyepieces for such a fast scope, this effectively means Explore Scientific or Tele Vue.  If you wear spectacles the ExSc have shorter eye relief so may not be suitable for you.  Both types of eyepieces are available from the forum sponsers, FLO. 

The TV plossls will be fine, but if you're going to spend £100 on a 50° eyepiece I'd probably go for the Vixen SLV and get decent eye relief at the shorter focal lengths.

At just under f5 there are probably a fair few other choices than TV. The shorter (12mm and under) Starguiders/X-Cel LXs are probably going to be ok, as will the Baader Classic Orthos.

How well corrected is the NPL you've already got in your scope? If you can't see problems with the star shapes (particularly near the edge of field) then another focal length from the range might be just as good.

The shorter focal lengths in the ES-52 line (10mm and below) are supposedly very sharp and have fairly long eye relief according to various CN reports on them.  They might be another budget option for higher powers when wearing eyeglasses.

Archived