Northern Lights

Taff

I have no idea where you live, but if the UK, you do not to leave the UK to see it: Shetland will do. ( It is almost as far north as Oslo anyway! ) The following website could be a help though, certainly with regards the UK. If it is visible here, then it will be in Norway. ?

https://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/shetland/

Edit: Then there is this for a wider forecast: http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

?

Hi Mark, the best time is usually quoted as late September through to March as the nights are generally longer, especially the further north you head.  Obviously I guess the longer the darkness lasts the better chance of seeing any activity.  Although that's the key, activity, i'm not sure there is a prescribed time "when" the aurora will be active, and any forecast doesn't allow for much time to arrange a trip, I guess that bit is pot luck!

As an example, I was lucky enough to take the family to northern finland in December 17, and was blessed with 3 outstanding nights of activity (although the number of people who hadn't seen anything I met there was remarkable :icon_scratch:, not sure what they were doing to miss it!)  Last year my sister in law also visited northern Finland, and although they had clear sky for 4 nights, they didn't see any activity at all.  One of my  directors at work went to Iceland last year for a week and also didn't see the lights, despite going on an actual aurora hunting trip to the north..

So I guess that's the crooks of it, there's a more opportune time, but probably no best time..

Ta

Fozzie

Archived