Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Evening 13/2/19

Astro Imp

Just come in from a couple of hours viewing our neighbour.
Conditions weren't the best, a lot of high thin cloud, hardly any stars visible but we have to make the best of what we have.
Viewed mostly x100 as the conditions didn't support any higher.
Clavius (one of the great craters IMO) was looking splendid, by the time I got out, just before 9pm it was almost fully illuminated with a small shadow of the eastern wall on the floor. The western wall was very obviously terraced and the craters in the floor were well defined together with what looked to me were a chain of peaks towards the north west almost to the wall. I'm not sure what I was seeing here as the conditions didn't allow high mag., it may well have been small craters, I'll go back when conditions are better.
Moved slowly north taking in the straight wall with Birt/Birt A to it's west. Looking at the wall it often reminds me of a sword with the handle at the southern end.
Eratosthenes was a fine sight with it's central peak well defined.
To the south of Eratosthenes is Timocharis, I had never really looked at this before but was surprised to see how steep the walls were.
Continuing south I passed Archimedes with it's large flat floor on the way to the Alpine valley and continued on to Plato. As Plato was so well placed I was hoping for a chance to observe some of the craterlets on the floor but obviously with tonight's conditions this wasn't possible.
An altogether enjoyable couple of hours and not too cold either.

Nice report, I got an hour in on the moon and some doubles.

Anaxagoras in the north, there were lots of mountains in and around Mare Imbrium looking good, Copernicus looked like an evil black hole, and Clavius in the south was good. I ended up at 125x which was good going.

Castor, Lambda Orionis, and Epsilon Monoceros followed, with the latter being the best sight of the evening being nice and clean with clear colour and magnitude contrasts.

11 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

Just come in from a couple of hours viewing our neighbour.
Conditions weren't the best, a lot of high thin cloud, hardly any stars visible but we have to make the best of what we have.
Viewed mostly x100 as the conditions didn't support any higher.
Clavius (one of the great craters IMO) was looking splendid, by the time I got out, just before 9pm it was almost fully illuminated with a small shadow of the eastern wall on the floor. The western wall was very obviously terraced and the craters in the floor were well defined together with what looked to me were a chain of peaks towards the north west almost to the wall. I'm not sure what I was seeing here as the conditions didn't allow high mag., it may well have been small craters, I'll go back when conditions are better.
Moved slowly north taking in the straight wall with Birt/Birt A to it's west. Looking at the wall it often reminds me of a sword with the handle at the southern end.
Eratosthenes was a fine sight with it's central peak well defined.
To the south of Eratosthenes is Timocharis, I had never really looked at this before but was surprised to see how steep the walls were.
Continuing south I passed Archimedes with it's large flat floor on the way to the Alpine valley and continued on to Plato. As Plato was so well placed I was hoping for a chance to observe some of the craterlets on the floor but obviously with tonight's conditions this wasn't possible.
An altogether enjoyable couple of hours and not too cold either.

Nice report Alan, glad you got some decent observing. I also got a couple of hours just on Lunar. It was excellent, though, like you, I failed to get any craterlets or the Vallis Alpes Rille, just 'hints'. :sad2:

The Moon a lot better here than last night. The haze has gone leaving excellent transparency, a tad unsteady but good moments of seeing. Using the 16" SCT with binoviewers, craterlets seen in Plato, Copernicus well placed and stunning definition, easily counted 28 craters inside Clavius not including Porter and Rutherford. No sign of the Alpine valley rille though.   ?

Archived