NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best image of Ganymede?

markclaire50

• 2 weeks later...

I've picked up a little visible albedo detail and managed to capture it once or twice. Taken with a Mak 180 plus AS1224 camera.

Nothing like Damian's brilliant images though! Need a bigger scope, better location and seeing, and a lot more skill.

Chris

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:39, markclaire50 said:

Please tell me nice things about your scope! It's on my short list of scopes. ?

I upgraded from a Mak180 to the C9.25. Its a nice balance between aperture size and still reasonably light.

I have no negatives to say really other than the usual SCT comments. 

Dew shield is essential,  crayford focuser desirable, cooling downtime very important as well.  

1 hour ago, Pete Presland said:

I upgraded from a Mak180 to the C9.25. Its a nice balance between aperture size and still reasonably light.

I have no negatives to say really other than the SCT comments. 

Dew shield is essential,  crayford focuser desirable, cooling downtime very important as well.  

Hi

Maybe a silly question but do you see more than the mak? I know aperture says yes, but on their areas of strength which I believe are similar, does the sct show that extra aperture in real world? 

Thanks 

Mark

6 hours ago, markclaire50 said:

Hi

Maybe a silly question but do you see more than the mak? I know aperture says yes, but on their areas of strength which I believe are similar, does the sct show that extra aperture in real world? 

Thanks 

Mark

Difficult question for me to answer really, the Mak isn't referred to as a planet killer for no reason though.  A Focal Length: 2700mm (f/15) makes it perfect for planets.

18 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Difficult question for me to answer really, the Mak isn't referred to as a planet killer for no reason though.  A Focal Length: 2700mm (f/15) makes it perfect for planets.

Hi. I'm mulling over both. I've seen fantastic images by Damien Peach using a C 9.25. I've also seen photos on flickr also showing linear markings on ganymede with a 180mm mak. Based on you having used both, which would you instinctively choose for planets and doubles? 

Thanks 

Mark 

I think alot comes down to conditions, and collimation and cooling. Mr Peach images from the best sites in the world with the planets high in the sky, with steady seeing, or at least the knowledge to pick the best times to image. Properly collimated and thermally stabilised scopes make as much difference as the exact scope type I would think.

Worth adding perhaps that the angular diameter of Ganymede is such that with an amateur scope the Airy disk is a significant fraction of this, in other words resolution of fine detail is not really possible. Any fine structure actually seen is likely to be imaging or processing artefacts.

Chris

18 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Worth adding perhaps that the angular diameter of Ganymede is such that with an amateur scope the Airy disk is a significant fraction of this, in other words resolution of fine detail is not really possible. Any fine structure actually seen is likely to be imaging or processing artefacts.

Chris

Hi. I always think Damian Peach's images show actual detail, with his C9.25. Detail in the sense of actual shaped darkened feature. At opposition, ganymede can be as big as 1.8" so a sct scope like the C9.25 with a Rayleigh limit of about 0.6" using high magnification and with good optics could theoretically resolve larger surface features? 

Mark

7 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

Hi. I always think Damian Peach's images show actual detail, with his C9.25. Detail in the sense of actual shaped darkened feature. At opposition, ganymede can be as big as 1.8" so a sct scope like the C9.25 with a Rayleigh limit of about 0.6" using high magnification and with good optics could theoretically resolve larger surface features? 

Mark

30% of the actual diameter? Hmm..... C14 maybe.

Chris

11 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

30% of the actual diameter? Hmm..... C14 maybe.

Chris

I thought that the rayleigh limit was a good indication of resolution certainly for extended objects. The rayleigh limit is 138/D, so a C9.25 would have a rayleigh limit of 0.6", which is one third of 1.8. Hence, in theory a C9.25 could see large surface features, albeit as darkened shape. This is supported by Damian Peaches photos. 

Now, whether you could see this visually is perhaps a tougher challenge, but the numbers in theory don't rule it out under optimum conditions and high magnification. 

Major features yes, I agree. Not fine detail though.

In the past, I have carried out convolutions of NASA images with different Airy disk sizes, and the results closely match the detail in some of the brilliant images by Astrovani on this site.

Chris

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

Major features yes, I agree. Not fine detail though.

In the past, I have carried out convolutions of NASA images with different Airy disk sizes, and the results closely match the detail in some of the brilliant images by Astrovani on this site.

Chris

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear on that. I meant large 'shapes'. In a C9.25, visually I'd be happy with seeing an albedo difference on ganymede, even more so if it had some shape to it! ? 

I assumed such albedo 'shapes' would be large enough to be resolvable by a C9.25, given its capabilities.

Cheers

Mark

Archived