Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First lunar views through the TMB 105/f6.2 LZOS

dannybgoode

I am not an expert lunar observer but I have always been utterly captivated by the moon.  With or without optics I can spend hours just looking at it - it never gets boring for me, such subtle beauty and ever changing views through the phases.  Well tonight was a first.  I have never looked through a frac before at any celestial object but having read about the contrasty views, the sharpness, the 3D effect a good frac can give I was pretty excited to finally get my new (to me) TMB 105/f6.2 LZOS mounted up for a try. 

I don't actually have a finderscope for it yet so I used my trusty SW 150P to align the scope, it was still daylight so had to really squint to see the Telrad but managed to get it all sorted and decided to first drink in the views through the newt - may as well drink in the sights and have something to compare against.  Looked good - nice and sharp and plenty of detail but couldn't really push the scope much further than my 12mm ES and found myself just enjoying seeing the full crescent in my 16mm BST.  

It wasn't long though until I just HAD to mount the TMB.  It had been cooling for 45 mins or so and soon had it set up and mounted.  Struggled at first to get focus until I remembered I had forgotten to put the 2" extension in and them bam - my first proper look through the new scope.  To say I was blown away is an understatement - I was expecting more contrast than the newt but nothing like a saw - even with the sky still a pale blue to the eye, through the TMB it was much darker with the moon just popping out.

So much detail as well, the subtle shades, the streaks of light across the darker sections and so much detail!  I slowly upped the power and even though the scope still hadn't properly stabilised I could put my 4.9mm Antares in and really get lost in the detail.  It is the first time I have been able to discern structure and texture to the larger crater walls, to see the myriad of smaller craters, to get a sense of depth perspective.  Using the mount controls I was flying over the moon surface like I was on an early Apollo mission - such an incredible experience.  Really something else and I cannot wait for more (much much more) time with this scope. The close up is a phone to the 4.9mm EP job.

To finish I thought I would try mounting my camera (Starlight Xpress SX674) - may as well see if I get focus etc.  I am pretty pleased with the result, particularly as these early TMB's don't have a dual speed focuser.  The great big focus wheels help though coupled to the fact the focuser itself is so incredibly well made.

Lunarclose.jpg

Moon.jpg

Archived