Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can anyone see M29..............

Hi,Carol. The image was taken with the Canon 450D,lens at 95mm which according to the calculator would give a FOV of some 13 degrees in width and the camera was aimed at the Cygnus area.(Oh,and Chris,............ The orientation is ....... Straight. :D )

Thanks CW, at least now I know it's not upside down or mirror imaged. :help:

M29's only about 6 arcminutes in size, though... do you recall if the bright star in the image is Gamma Cygni? I'm trying to match your pic with my Sky Tools program (set to 13° wide) but just when I think I see a few things match up, others don't. :D

According to Messiers Album CW, the cluster is 2 degrees south of Gamma Cygni.

It looks like a poor mans replica of the Pleiades, but not as bright of course.

The ngc description is "Poor, and little compressed bright and faint stars." Six of the stars are brighter than 9.5.

Ron.

According to Messiers Album CW, the cluster is 2 degrees south of Gamma Cygni.

It looks like a poor mans replica of the Pleiades, but not as bright of course.

The ngc description is "Poor, and little compressed bright and faint stars." Six of the stars are brighter than 9.5.

Ron.

Oooer, poor and compressed, now there's a challenge. I don't think I've done M29 before.

Thanks Themos, that explains everything.

I'd assumed it was Gamma in the image.. not Deneb. :D

P.S.

"I don't think I've done M29 before."

Dave, it's pretty unimpressive but worth it, I think. To me it looks like a pair of parenthesis curving outward instead of inward, or a curved letter "H" without the center bar.

Thanks Themos, that explains everything.

I'd assumed it was Gamma in the image.. not Deneb. :D

P.S.

"I don't think I've done M29 before."

Dave, it's pretty unimpressive but worth it, I think. To me it looks like a pair of parenthesis curving outward instead of inward, or a curved letter "H" without the center bar.

I shall image it next time out then, it's just about near the zenith at the moment quite early on.

Archived