Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Monocular

Hi and welcome to SGL lots of folk here happy to help. If you could give some details of your monocular that would help. The basc specifications are the magnification and the size (diameter) of the front lens.

You say the monocular is 40-60.  Could that be 40 magnification with a 60mm diameter front lens ?  That’s way too high to hand hold. 60mm front lens would be very useful. So as already mentioned, it would help if you could explain.

Almost any monocular would collect far more light than the unaided eye and would therefore reveal many more stars and faint objects like the Andromeda galaxy M31.  Star clusters like the Pleiades would be well seen.

Looking forward to hearing details about your monocular so folk on here can help.

Ed.

If it is something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG8N1GF/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07CG8N1GF&pd_rd_w=bqwqv&pf_rd_p=2bd81721-c115-4b8d-93a3-2ecd17466ded&pd_rd_wg=70Pz2&pf_rd_r=CR61A4MKK5XD2DZ9ZD18&pd_rd_r=a88d9d11-29f5-11e9-bd20-0914fd4f7591

I doubt it will be very useful for astronomy. The magnification is probably too high for handheld use and objective is too small to get bright views. It's hard to tell though as the specs are all over the place. 

Magnification: 16x

Field of View: 66M/ 8000M

Field of view: 6.4°

Eye Lens Diameter: 20mm

Objective diameter: 52mm

Monocular Size: 145 x 52 mm

It'll be fine for a quick scan around and should work well on the moon/orion/star clusters/andromeda galaxy, alot of selfie sticks have a binocular thread...if you have a telescopic selfie stick try attaching 1 to it then you can either suspend it above or rest it on the ground/belly and use the telescopic arm of the selfie stick to adjust for height. I use a monocular with string fastened to it then strung up to a hook well above my head, this way you can roll the monocular and the string will either raise/lower the height and allows for reasonably steady views if your sitting in a chair?

Archived