NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Edge HD 8 initial tests

Picked up a new (to me) Edge HD 8 inch SCT yesterday and for once it was clear last night to give it a quick run imaging onto a Nikon D5100 (Mono modified) DSLR. Scope was mounted on an iOptron iEQ 45 Pro. Image captures via SG Pro and processed in PI, resized in PS CS3.

I'm waiting for a CGE mounting bar for it so I can mount a guide scope so these images are all unguided subs using short exposures - typically 30 seconds and iso speeds of 1600 - 2000.

First light was the HH (B33) - 20 x 30 sec subs iso 2000, followed by M1, M81, M109, M108 all (40x 30 sec iso 1600).

Quite happy with these as unguided captures. Focus is manual and I was lazy in only doing an initial focus leaving the rest as is. Frames haven't been graded so all subs have been used for each image. 

B33 Edge HD test 20x 30s iso 2000.jpg

M1_Edge HD Test 40x 30s iso 1600.jpg

M81_Edge HD Test 40x 30s_iso 1600.jpg

M109 Edge HD Test 40x30s iso 1600.jpg

M108_Edge HD Test 40 x 30s iso 1600.jpg

M1_Edge HD Test 40x 30s iso 1600.jpg

You must be very pleased with those results - looks to have great potential. Accurate focus will make results even better. With regards to guiding the EdgeHD 8", I tried initally with a separate guidescope (though only the finder, if I remember correctly) and was very disappointed with results. An OAG is your best option...

32 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

You must be very pleased with those results - looks to have great potential. Accurate focus will make results even better. With regards to guiding the EdgeHD 8", I tried initally with a separate guidescope (though only the finder, if I remember correctly) and was very disappointed with results. An OAG is your best option...

Hi Gav,

I have a home made OAG but initially I'm going with an 80mm guide scope (TS) and Lodestar. I will swap the guide scope between the Edge HD and the Altair 115 EDT-APO - more chance of finding a guidestar (I hope!)

Archived