Orion at 55mm

Not fishing for compliments here. Sometimes I feel like my photos are inadequate around here, but then I have to remind myself that I'm using about the barest basic of equipment as you possibly can and I'm doing the very minimum when it comes to processing. This is with my unmoded Canon t6i/750D, the Canon kit 18-55mm lens, on an iOptron Sky Guider Pro. In the image you can obviously see M42, M43, the Flame Nebula and even make out the Horsehead. I was surprised to find Barnard's Loop to start popping out. ISO800, 42x120s, f/5.6, 55mm, no filters.

What really blew me away, and I didn't even notice until after I had finished processing, was the Witch Head Nebula in the corner just off Rigel.

Orion.jpg

13 minutes ago, Buzzard75 said:

What really blew me away, and I didn't even notice until after I had finished processing, was the Witch Head Nebula in the corner just off Rigel.

Oh yeah, that’s very impressive. Great image. :) 

1 hour ago, Radman40 said:

Brilliant. Fills me with hope for what can be achieved with an unmodded DSLR.   Might I ask where you took the image. How much light pollution was around? 

I live in eastern North Carolina. Our club goes to a nature preserve so there aren't a lot of visible street or security lamps. The only thing you really see is the glow from some of them just above the trees. There's one section of the sky that's particularly bad due to a fuel station having their bright lights angled somewhat outward instead of straight down and they're on all night long, so we try to avoid it. Sometimes a neighboring school will have the lights on the field on for no reason which also produces a light dome. The area is a Bortle 4, but very close to a 3.

Mmmmmm.......there is a big difference between Bortle 3 and 4. If you are close to 3 then that is really going to help with imaging. I  often travel to an area that is just about  4....probably closer to 5 than 3. It really limits the length of exposure to 90 seconds at  ISO 800. I can see me having to spend more time going further afield. ? 

Archived